My 6th string stretches out when pulling back floyd rose

Updated
sean O.

Hi all, i bought the ESP LTD SN-200fr and i always have the same problem. My 6th string the thickest string stretches out when pulling back the floyd rose. This doesn't happen on other strings and it starts from the saddle (see picture) i hate that this is happening because it's wasting my 6th string because i always have to buy a pack of strings just for my 6th string because of the string stretching out. Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated. Thanks.

Nathan M.

In my experience, this is usually caused by a burr or sharp edge on that saddle making a small 'cut' or creating a weak point on the string. Take a small/fine metal file and try and smooth the saddle out. 

Also, what brand of strings are you using? You can often buy one off strings rather than a full set. I switched to NYXL on all my floyd rose guitars and haven't looked back. Amazingly stable/strong strings that can really take a beating. 

sean O.

Ok i'll try filing it a bit thanks for your response. I use ernie ball hybrid slinkies. Let me know if you suggest stronger strings.

Nathan M.

If you like Ernie Ball, the Paradigm sets are probably one of the strongest on the market. Since your strings are unwinding and not really breaking, I'm not sure it would be any different though. 

sean O.
Nathan M. wrote:

If you like Ernie Ball, the Paradigm sets are probably one of the strongest on the market. Since your strings are unwinding and not really breaking, I'm not sure it would be any different though. 

Alright thanks for helping me!! I'll see if i can buy 1 pack of paradigm strings and i'll see if i like them.

Pushead

I'd definitely try a needle file (or anything thin enough) to round the string path a bit. Especially where it bends to get clamped in.

Nathan M.

Also make sure you are tightening the block enough. If it's too loose but not loose enough to slip out, it can still be 'slipping' on the windings. I don't have torque figures, but I basically tighten the wound strings as much as I can with the tool the guitar came with. 

ESP Guitars

Hello Sean,

It seems like Pushead and Nathan have given some great advice here.  It looks like the contact point on the saddle may be a little sharp.  You can replace this with a Floyd Rose Special #1 saddle, or try to lightly smooth the area with a file.  Please contact our customer service department if you are within one of purchase, as you may be eligible for warranty coverage.  You can reach them at customerservice@espguitars.com.  We hope you can get this back up and running soon!

sean O.

I did that i'm sorry for not keeping you guys up to date but thank you guys so much it fixed the problem thank you all for the help i appreciate it so much!!!

Post to Thread