E-II completely Made in Japan?

Updated
Sergi  B.

Hi, 

I would like to know where are the E-II guitars made.

Some people and even dealer salesman say that woodworking is made in ESP facilities in China and then finished in Japan. Is this true or E-II are completely made in Japan from woodworking to final checking?

Thanks

Johny2Wong
Sergi B. wrote:

Hi, 

I would like to know where are the E-II guitars made.

Some people and even dealer salesman say that woodworking is made in ESP facilities in China and then finished in Japan. Is this true or E-II are completely made in Japan from woodworking to final checking?

Thanks

What you hear is actually an old rumors for Edwards. NOT E-II. In case you don't know. Edwards is one of ESP brand for Japan domestic market. It isn't sold outside of Japan, but some ESP distributors manage to import and sell it on their country. No one knows where the rumors comes from and no one confirms or denies the rumors.

For me, I have seen photos from one of ESP distributor when they visits ESP japan factory. On one or two photos, I notice E-II and Edwards are put in the same rack. it look like the guitars are waiting for final assembly. Unfortunately, the photos has been deleted by the uploader.

I've also watched demos for ESP exhibition series on youtube by an ESP artist named Mamoru. He demos the guitars in ESP factory. In one of the video, I see a bunch of ESP KH are put on a rack. This is normal since ESP signature are made in ESP factory. And then in certain minutes, there is worker moving a rack filled with a bunch of E-II baby metal. I think this and what I mention in above paragraph are small proof that E-II is made in Japan.

Now my own reasoning why I believe E-II is made in Japan. Take a look at PRS. They make super expensive private stock, core series, and S2 series in the same factory in USA. Yet, their price is significantly different. If you watch PRS video, you'll know they use different hardware, material, and less work hour for the cheaper model. The same things also happens in ESP. The best material, hardware, fit and finish go into ESP custom and Original series. E-II, or previously ESP standards, uses mixed hardware. Some are same and others are different than ESP original series. The biggest different is E-II uses veneer maple vs thick figured maple cap in more expensive model. You can also see fret edge in E-II isn't as rounded as that on more expensive model. I think all of those things make E-II cheaper while is still fully made in Japan.

Sergi  B.

Thanks for the reply. It would be good for us to hear something directly from ESP here in the forum

The Meeseeks Box

Yes, let's hear from ESP!

The Meeseeks Box

I don't know the answer but would be very surprised because the build quality of E-II is light years ahead of Chinese made guitars like Squier.

ESP Guitars

E-II guitars are made by ESP’s own factory in Japan.  As with almost all guitar manufacturing, many materials used in production are outsourced to other parts of the world.

J_C

Hi,

What materials are outsourced? Hardware?

Where the woodwork is done? And the paintwork? Is everything done in Japan?

Thanks for your reply

Toni M.

No they are not. ESP Standard Series were 90% made in China, at their ESP Factory in Jixi, since they got introduced in early 2000s. The only thing that was made in Japan was the final assembly. Electronics etc. Same goes to the current EII line, which replaced the SS line in 2013. I have pictures of all this and documents. Dont believe what ESP usa says, cos they are totally useless. 

J_C
Toni M. wrote:

No they are not. ESP Standard Series were 90% made in China, at their ESP Factory in Jixi, since they got introduced in early 2000s. The only thing that was made in Japan was the final assembly. Electronics etc. Same goes to the current EII line, which replaced the SS line in 2013. I have pictures of all this and documents. Dont believe what ESP usa says, cos they are totally useless. 

I also have seen the pictures.

Honestly, I don't care...a cnc machine does the job wherever is installed, no matter if in japan china or mars. 

Paul G.

I recently purchased an e-ii Horizon 3, and it's obvious from the fit and finish that it's a higher grade of construction and materials. Straight out of the box, it sounds great, and it stays in tune better than my PRS Artist Package 10 top 408!

ESP guitars have never let me down. Granted, I purchase the higher grade instruments, but they are awesome pieces!

Steven H.

Even the Edwards guitars have a great fit and finish. The quality from the top to bottom of the ESP line is superior to most. I recently bought and LTD B204 fretless bass from Amazon, and I was shocked of the quality right out of the original shipping box for the price. 

Post to Thread