Please explain

Updated
Please explain

i have a mx250 and an eclipse. Both obviously the same scale, both have the exact same strings and bridges. But there is a noticeable difference in string tension between the two. The mx seems a lot stiffer to play. The only difference I can spot is the angle of the strings over the saddles. The mx being a lot less of an angle compared to the eclipse. I have put new strings of the exact same brand and gauge on both guitars. Done so for years. Same tuning same everything. But they are different. It's not a feel thing when playing despite them having different pick ups. Unplugged the mx being stiffer and the eclipse being more spongy. Can one of you gurus shed some light on that?  Noticed it for years but never bothered to ask.

Big Daddy B
barryswanson wrote:

The only difference I can spot is the angle of the strings over the saddles.

This. You can adjust your stop tailpiece up and down to change the angle. You would be surprised how much of a difference that will make.

Pushead

The string tension is the same, it's the string compliance is different.  Break over the nut and tailpiece have a bit to do with it, as does the length of the string between the nut and the tuner.

Apologies for responding to an "Ask ESP" thread.

Big Daddy B

Good clarification.

barryswanson

No don't apologise. Awesome information. Something I didn't know. I'm gonna have a play with that. Is there a correct way to set that up? Or is it just to taste ?

Big Daddy B

It's mainly to taste. Some guys wrap the strings around the tailpiece to decrease the angle. 

barryswanson

Yeah I was thinking about doing that. Because on both my ESP's the strings touch the back of the bridge. Except id end up marking the tail piece. So much for the inspection set up sticker thing on the back of my guitar. They didn't look real hard whoever M.S is. Lol

Pushead

Sorry for butting-in again, as I'm sure the ESP guys have an answer for this (especially one that may not void a warranty), but here's an article that describes some of the finer points of string compliance and string gauge.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?202676-A-fresh-look-at-choosing-string-gauges-real-and-perceived-tension-LONG-THREAD

There are numerous factors that come in to play with the perceived tension of the strings, and guitars will vary, even within the same model.

Jeff K.

Pus, you are always welcome to chime in with useful information. We're glad you're here.

ESP Admin
barryswanson wrote:

i have a mx250 and an eclipse. Both obviously the same scale, both have the exact same strings and bridges. But there is a noticeable difference in string tension between the two. The mx seems a lot stiffer to play. The only difference I can spot is the angle of the strings over the saddles. The mx being a lot less of an angle compared to the eclipse. I have put new strings of the exact same brand and gauge on both guitars. Done so for years. Same tuning same everything. But they are different. It's not a feel thing when playing despite them having different pick ups. Unplugged the mx being stiffer and the eclipse being more spongy. Can one of you gurus shed some light on that?  Noticed it for years but never bothered to ask.

You are experiencing a difference in perceived string tension, which can result in a difference of "feel" even among the same model line. The link provided by Pushead for the Seymour Duncan forum posts regarding perceived tension will be a good place to start. Some of the techniques may void the warranty if any damage is caused as a result of use beyond normal wear and tear. In general however, the tweaks you are capable of making through standard setup adjustments are what we would suggest. 

Post to Thread