Active to Passive set-up change - 4 knob Eclipse

Updated
Active to Passive set-up change - 4 knob Eclipse

I want to change from EMGs to something classic like JB with potentially SH-1 or 490R in the neck position.

Can anyone help with a photo of the factory wiring of a 4 knob Eclipse? I want to get it as close to the 'original' wiring as possible. Any info on pot sizes, brand or capacitors would be much appreciated. The EMG pots look very tiny, is there a direct replacement for those from CTS, Bourns, Hosco or Alpha? What pots and wiring are regarded as the best? Should I follow the factory set-up or is there room for improvement?

Also, I always though that the spacing on trembuckers (i.e. TB-4) in the bridge position was a better match with a Gotoh bridge spacing than on humbuckers (i.e. SH-4) Any thoughts on having the pickup a bit wider than the string spacing rather than a little narrower or is that entirely negligible?

Many thanks!

Pushead

Yes, a trembucker if you're going Seymour Duncan at the bridge. The "stock" wiring for a passive-equipped, 4 knob Eclipse is exactly the same a Les Paul. If you go a 4 conductor route, you can put push/pull pots in for coil splitting, if that's your thing.

For potentiometers, you'll want something with a 6mm diameter. The CTS pots would require the holes to be widened a bit (in my experience.)

DV8

Many thanks Pushead! Does this mean that ESP do not use CTS pots? Are there any markings on the pots at all?

Also, I am not sure about re-using the wires from the EMG harness as they seem a bit flimsy. Do they use the same - very thin wires for passives?

Pushead

If the pots for the EMGs are soldered, they're some form of Alpha pots, likely. But EMG is all quick connect now. Since you know enough to ask these questions, I assume you know that you can't reuse the pots from the EMGs for passive pickups. (Well, you can, but it will sound like mud.) I'd replace all the wiring, if it was me, but the runs to and from the switch are probably fine.

Most guitar wiring (especially stock) is 24awg. I've seen people go up to as high as 18awg when they rewire. I'm not sure there's that big of a difference, but I'm sure you'll find people who disagree. You should be able to buy wiring through wherever you buy the pots.

DV8

Yes, they are soldered as it's a 2009. I thought of reusing only the wire, not the pots, but I will get 18awg if that's better.

Ok great, so I need 2no audio and 2no linear pots with short shaft and 6mm dia. Thanks again! 

Pushead

"Better" is a rough term to use. The wiring in the pickup is smaller and the wiring in your instrument cable is bigger. The length of the wiring inside the guitar is minuscule compared to everything else. Finding a good quality wire is probably more important than a bigger gauge wire.

metalhobo

18 awg seems like it would crowd the control cavity pretty badly. 22 or 24 awg is much easier to work with for guitar stuff. I don't trust people who claim to hear a difference.

Post to Thread