Customs Fees (Europe to the US)

Updated
Customs Fees (Europe to the US)

Hey folks! I am having a guitar shipped from Europe to me this week or next week.

What should I have the shipper declare it as? A gift? I would like to avoid the heavy customs fees if possible, but I probably will anyway lol Any advice?

You guys are going to love this score I found thanks to one of you members here!  

Thanks!

Road King

I think if it's over $800, you have to pay a fee. But it might depend on which country it comes from. Fedex billed me $60 like a month after my item arrived.

Mesa Sean
Road King wrote:

I think if it's over $800, you have to pay a fee. But it might depend on which country it comes from. Fedex billed me $60 like a month after my item arrived.

Thanks dude. The guitar I am having shipped is way over $800 so I am hopping I don't get hit with a huge customs fee. Uncle Sam always has to dig in our pockets.

Guiguitarz

Hi Sean,

You'll have to pay the applicable VAT on your item + a percentage of fees on it. You can check that on the website of your customs border administration.

When I receive something from the US for example I need to pay the VAT (20%) + 2,5% of fees. (It depends of the type of goods, food, musical instruments, clothings...)

So you can play and undervalue the item to pay less fees, but if something happens, you'll be refund the value you declared ...

Good luck,

G.

Pushead

I bought two guitars from the EU last year (UK and Sweden) and paid no customs fees. Both were in the $1500 range. Maybe I'm lucky.

Did you buy the EET FUK or the man to wolf?

Mesa Sean
Pushead wrote:

I bought two guitars from the EU last year (UK and Sweden) and paid no customs fees. Both were in the $1500 range. Maybe I'm lucky.

Did you buy the EET FUK or the man to wolf?

ugh no way. Their prices are insane. I should have never sold my mint 1991 MX-220 I had with tags and case back in 2007 ugh :( 

Pushead

That there is quitter talk!

Post to Thread