Need Help Identifying My (Possibly) Vintage ESP

Updated
Torgaddon

Salutations folks,

After digging around some family storage, I uncovered an old ESP guitar of mine I purchased pre-2000 that has "Horizon" printed on the head stock and the only identifying numbers I can find is "50272" displayed on the bolt plate. I purchased it used between 1998-2000 and at the time was told that it was a late-80s model but never cared that much at the time to verify the authenticity, as the glitter-gold drop shadows underneath the 80s font styles seemed to have sold me more than enough at the time, although I was more interested in the smooth action and superb sustain. As I've been an avid player most of my life before/thereafter, I'd love to have it professionally restored the "right way" by the "right person", and I figured if I'd ever come to ascertain exactly what the "right way/person" was, I could only do so if I know exactly what I'm dealing with.

I did some Googling and stumbled over a nifty serial number legend (can't post the link because this is my first post) but it doesn't seem my ESP bolt plate fits within the criteria as according to the bolt plate legend the earliest recorded number is 592XX from 1989. After carefully removing the neck and looking inside, I saw a very worn printed number on the neck itself along with handwritten code on both the neck and the neck "pocket" on the body. Below is pictures of everything.

Any vintage ESP buffs out there that can advise on what model this is and what year it was built? Any educated guesses? Anything would be helpful. 

Thanks for reading!

Pushead

I'd suspect by the marks in the neck cavity that it has 24 frets. If so, it would be a Horizon Deluxe from the late 80s. I think they switched to the current style knife headstock design in 1990 or 91 (my 91 Mirage has the current style.)

mehegama

They introduced this style in 91-92 so the earliest is from that period. As Pushead sad it is a Horizon deluxe. Is the floyd routing a long one like the page Hamilton model? If that is the case then it is def a 92 and onwards model.

Torgaddon

Hello Pushead and Mehegama,

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post. 

mehegama - Yes, the floyd routing on the body is exactly as the Page Hamilton model. 

Is there any proper way of going about having this guitar restored? Would it be blasphemous to have the neck set? All the hardware is rather rusty so I know I'm going to be replacing that, including the floyd rose and 3-point tuning system. I'm sure its not a heavily-sought vintage guitar as would be, say, a 60s-70s Les Paul or Strat, but I wanted to keep it as true to the original model as possible (aside from potentially the set neck). 

Thanks again for your replies! 

mehegama

Can you post a full pic?

Torgaddon

Kas

Wow, that poor thing... and I thought mine was thrashed. In my opinion these are collectable and amazing guitars. From what I have researched the slanted neck p/u is a bit rare. Did someone add that 2nd switch? Not sure I have seen any 2 knob models with 2 switches. Mine has a 6 digit # but it's 004xxx, I think the 87-ish had 4 digits and near as I can guess mine is about an 89, ESP hasn't helped me with that. Good luck with your build and I hope you share it with us when finished or during.

mehegama

Wow that s a proper beater.. hurts a bit seeing it.. So the body would need a refinish, probably new pickups, knew knobs and tuning machines. This is relatively easy to find. The issue is with the bridge... needs change, and unfortunately sinclair bridge is very hard to find.

Torgaddon

Yep. I thought it was gone forever, but after a death in the family, I found it in a dank attic and became nostalgic. I found a Sinclair tremolo for a rather steep price in near-mint condition and purchased it. I am going to purchase all of the original ESP tuning pegs, replace all the rusted hardware and while my 20-year-old self may hate me for it, get that SD Dimebucker out of there. Going all-original with this -- whatever it takes. If I can find the original humbucker and that single-coil pickup I'll definitely buy it. 

If anyone has any links to original ESP hardware that was originally found on a Horizon Deluxe from 90-91ish, please post or PM me. If you own this hardware, let me know and let's make a deal. 

Once I get everything squared away and have this restored to its original glory, I'll post some pics to make up for the dilapidated condition it is currently in.

mehegama

Ah you are lucky then. I think I saw this was about to say, I think a guy from Thailand or so was selling one. I don't sell any parts, just my first generation Horizon deluxe. For parts, you can find dome knobs, gotoh tuners (the ones ESP has been using for years) and toggles very cheaply either on ebay or by googling esp guitar parts. Since you have the sinclair it is just a matter of refinishing and it will be better than before. It is an amazing guitar in all ways you can think of!

As for original pickups check for sh-100 (powerails)

for the neck and either Mother-II or LB-150 for the bridge. These are the proper ESP 80s pickups!

Raider_77

I need some help also with a Horizon.I'm new and don't have enough points to post

Eric S.

Write to me in private messages.

Post to Thread