Stolen "Lars" drum kit story from old forum

Updated
EXPcustom

I just saw a reference to this and I want to fill you guys in on the full story and if the other person wants to chime in and post they can.

I saw even some posts insinuating that I stole a drum kit and I never have nor will deal in stolen property.

Back in 2003, it was well over ten years ago, I remember A member here posting that they had their home broken into and gear got stolen. They live in Texas and I live in California, for the record. I remember the thread but I never remembered a Lars kit being stolen, I remember a Mesa Amp and some other things. I think I would remember a Lars kit since I was in the market for one especially a black album era one.

I think it was about two years later I would post here with recent Ebay scores. There was a advertised "Lars" kit on Ebay I bought from a seller in Texas. Posted a thread here stating I just got an Load era silver sparkle Tama kit. All of a sudden I got a message stating that was their kit and it was stolen. I immediately forwarded the sellers name and Paypal transaction info to this member so he can deal with this.  I even offered the member that if he needs me to testify in court I will fly out there on my dime.

I notified the person I bought it from and they delayed shipping the kit to me and some back and forth they finally shipped me the kit. They claim the kit was never stolen.

Nothing happens for a few years and this member hits me up a few times for guitars, I am talking MXII, 250s and 220s in exchange for the kit. I never gave in and sent a guitar for the record. Each guitar was worth well over 3k that he asked me to send.

FYI this kit is not a "Lars" kit it is just a Star Classic Performer, I even checked the serials with Tama, never sent or used by Lars just a Mid range kit with maple shells. Maybe worth around 1200 dollars on the used market. Only thing it has in common with a Lars kit is the color, silver sparkle, that's it. I overpaid for it at 2000 dollars.

I ask the member if he ever followed up both legally and civilly with the information I sent regarding the guy in Texas I bought the kit from who supposedly stole the kit. He said no, I have the kit and I seem to be doing financially better than the thief so I should be the one to pay him in one way or the other.

I said fine, I will send the kit but I need a copy of the police report showing that the kit was stolen so I can write it off as a loss for taxes. Still have the kit and will send if I get a copy or some sort of proof it was stolen. This is where I stand with this situation today.

I have seen posts inferring that I actually stole the kit or had something to do with stolen property and  I pride myself in being a ethical business person. Honestly I am really doubting this kit was stolen as I don't remember a Lars kit from the orignal thread, person I bought it from denies it along with a few other red flags but I will send it with proof of theft. Any pawnshop or business dealing in used gear requires some sort of evidence or proof of theft before they return said items. This is just standard procedure nothing unreasonable.

tl;dr version: Someone claims I have stolen property, I requested proof of theft/police report, still waiting.

Jack J.

Wow, I never thought about it that way before. You've given me a new perspective

Post to Thread