Drop C or C# standard ?

Updated
Drop C or C# standard ?

Well.. I'm going to change srtings on my stratocaster, and I just can't decide which tuning should I tune up with a 11-48 string set.. I love drop tunings, and use mostly them, but a standard tuning could fit for me too. I don't know if it even fits for a drop C or a C# standard.. Somewhere I heard that a 10-52 heavy bottom set most likely to pass with drop C. Can you tell me which tuning's the best with a 11-48 gauge?

Alperen G.

I use 11-48 in a C# setting and I love it. For a drop C, I'd go with a 10-52 or even 10-56. It sounds more defined at the low strings for my taste.

One recommendation I would give you, though, is experimenting. You can buy these strings for 4-5 bucks, anyway; so I would just get two - three different sets, install them and play for a while. I would even record the sounds they give, and then replace them and do the same. That way, you can easily compare yourself and find what is more appealing to you. 

Matyi

Well, not a bad idea.The only thing that just haven't came up in my mind..  I will follow your words, mate!  thanks for the hint.  

Road King

I use 11-52 for drop C. 11-48 would probably work too, especially on a trem. I like slightly lighter strings on a trem.

Matyi

Yeah.. top strings are not even overused in my hands.. The only reason I won't like to get a string above 50, is that I find the neck a bit weak..  But well, I'll just give it a try then.  thanks for the hint.  

RZK

I use 10-46 for everything.

Tune it to whatever you need it tuned to.

Matyi

Seems like there's a professional 10-46 strng user among us  If you say so, I believe you. Also give it a try with all the others mentioned above  thanks for the hint. 

RZK

I find there's not much of a tension difference between tunings. I primarily use standard, Drop D, and Drop C, but I have a couple tuned to D standard and Drop C#.

I've never tried anything heavier, but I used to use 9-42 for standard and Drop D, and 10-46 for Drop C. It's not that I use a lighter gauge for lower tunings, but that I started using a heavier gauge for higher tunings.

Velt017

I'm a big fan of the Dunlop Heavy Core 11s and 12s for lower tunings. The tension is there, but you don't feel like you're playing bass strings.

Road King

Matyi wrote:

Yeah.. top strings are not even overused in my hands.. The only reason I won't like to get a string above 50, is that I find the neck a bit weak..  But well, I'll just give it a try then.  thanks for the hint. 

The neck will be fine since a 52 tuned to C would be like a 46 tuned to D.

RZK wrote:

I primarily use standard, Drop D, and Drop C

I wonder why.

RZK
Road King wrote:

RZK wrote:

I primarily use standard, Drop D, and Drop C

I wonder why.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Post to Thread