What kind of strings do you guys use ?

Updated
What kind of strings do you guys use ?

Maybe seems like a silly quiestion,

but I like to try everything if it is made from differant materials and I am a hard believer in TONE-Strings unlike the tone-materials my ears cant hear and thus I cannot enjoy it either.

I ask because I have Elixir optiwebs now and I like the feel even if they wont last and some say ruins the strings and all the usual bs.

I have gore-tex shoes but the coated thing on my strings suprised me how good they felt.

and when cleaned all the usual colors a string gained in the groves are not there. 

Not talkimg about the nano and polyweb strings, only opti as i optional webbed and a humble name is fitting my philosophy. 

I think they are on to something with this as skin have  acids but not got kind the omega3s/blue/lcd we all know and love but bad acid (brown?) and see how this kills strings.

I am serious, and wanted to see what other players find to be best..

Andrew W.

Have always used Dean Markley 0.10-0.46. Every time I stop playing I grab a small towel and wipe them down, keeps them fresh for a very long time (plus clean your picking-hand fingers before playing). I simply lve their tone, the feel of them and on top of that, theyhave never broken on me on my Floyd gtr, and my custom-made Ebony hardtail gtr.

And they don't cost an arm and a leg.  Or like they say in Belgium, a pack of strings ”only cost an apple and an egg”.

jt76

D'Addario NYXL1046

For solid body electrics.

Kjartan

I’ve used about 10 sets of those, but I might be wrong when saying this:

I think they sounded to muddy on the neck pickup, and the eq tinkering needed for a good bridge and neck sound just was not worth it after I used up the 10set box.

But they are cheap and everyone has a different taste, thankfully.

I am now using cheap dunlop strings, and I think they are kinda like those.

Thanks for your input, dude.

Carlie K.

D’Addario NYXL is offering quality strings. What are your views. 

jv m

I would definitely like to try those Elixir coated strings.  I've never used any of those on my guitars.  I've been using Ernie ball power slinkies ever since.  But they only last about a week. Must be my fingers or the humidity in my location.  :(  Tried to shift to D'Addarios but they're still the same and I had to adjust to the sound that the treble strings had.  I felt they were to bright.

Is it true?  That Elixir strings last longer?

jt76

The nyxl not the standard xl.

If they were cheap they were the standard xls.  The Nyxls last a really long time.  They sound better also, but i liked the sound of the standards and never found that they were muddy.

I used to use dean markleys.  Thought they sounded really good not as modern as the daddarios. Did not last that long and broke on me a lot.

I still like them for acoustic.

Elixers sounded strange to me. They were consistent and stayed clean until the coating fails.  Then they go down hill very fast.  

Ghs coated, last forever, sound great, but to me they have a strange kind of sticky feel until they have been played a bit.  First set i got, was put on by my tech. I hated them at first, but after a bit of play time I changed my mind.

If you are mainly playing at home or only gig occasionally Cleaning your strings and hands does really extend the life of any non coated strings.

If your hands are eating the strings its a good idea to clean your metal hardware as well.

If your playing 3 hours gigs twice a week under stage lights when your sweating your ass off, its better just to just change them out than try to keep them clean.  Still probably worth keeping your hardware clean.

Jshannon3

I’m more favored to the Elixirs 9-42, that’s what ESP ships it’s guitars from the factory with and I enjoy the feel of them.  I’ve only broken one so far(low E) since I started using them about 2 years now.  I used to be a big Blue Steel(Dean Markley)guy but that’s before I got wrapped up in ESP guitars.  I know there are people that are not big fans of the nanoweb and optoweb features of the Elixirs, but I’ve had no problems with it, just make sure you wipe your strings down every time you quit playing.  I’ve not noticed any residue or build-up on the Elixir Strings, maybe it’s because I take real good care of my guitars and perform maintenance regularly.  And change your strings regularly, every 100 hrs playing time or every 3 months.  I’ve setup a maintenance schedule for my ESP guitars on my Ipad, that reminds me when the strings need to be changed and the guitar needs maintenance.  I go in 3 month increments up to the yearly which the fretboard gets oiled with lemon oil.  I have documentation of each of these maintenance intervals for my records on the guitar in case I decide to sell someday.  Proving the guitar has been well maintained. Now if your playing gigs 3 times a week, you might want to bump your string changes up to every 50 hrs or 1.5 months and set-up a maintenance schedule that fits in that time range to clean all the sweat and gunk off your guitar and it’s hardware.  Remember guitar strings can run anywhere from 5 dollars(junk) to 13 dollars(good ones) a pack so there is some expense in changing them more often, you just gotta find that happy median.

Post to Thread