Noise reduction pedals

Updated
Noise reduction pedals
I'm currently looking into changing my Boss NS-2 for either the ISP Decimator or MXR Smart Gate. I hear alot of good things about the Decimator, but some say that it is problematic when switching from distortion to clean. Is this true in your experience? I can't seem to find much on the Smart Gate. Any of you guys have experience with it. What do you guys suggest? Should I stick with my NS-2 or go with something else?
slovakzombiehero

Leftallica has (had? I don't remember if he switched to the MXR or not) a Decimator, and it gave him a lot of problems when switching. I have the Smart Gate, and I leave it on all the time and it doesn't give me any problems unless I have it cranked all the way up, which is rare.

I've never used the NS-2, but I see a decent amount of people using them, but have also heard a lot of complaints online which should be taken with a grain of salt. I can't recommend the Smart Gate enough, though.

Tsinthegame

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'm going to go try out an MXR this week.

Monologous

I have the Smart Gate as well, and I love it. So easy to use, and works great. No problems with it.

loversmoon

i have the decimator and something i have noticed if you are on the heavy gain channel nice and lovely. Keeps the feed back completely quiet. But if for some reason you switch to clean and have a delay going it kills it completely.

marcy_marc2008

i have a couple of different noise reductio pedals/rack gear

in all honesty if your looking to replace an ns-2 i don't think you will find much difference in the decimator compared with the ns-2. Apart from the ns-2 having gives you alot more control over the settings on the pedal alongside the effects loop etc.

i have the ns-2, decimator, hush super c, and smart gate and i still always go back to the ns-2.

FORSAKEN

IME the smartgate is the best of the bunch. Really curious about he noise clamp though i believe its the exact same as the smart gate except you can run it infront and in the effects loop at the same time...correct me if im wrong?

reilly

I had a NS-2 but switched to the MXR smart gate and like it much better, I have not tried the ISP.

Tsinthegame

Thanks all for the input. I think I will try the smart gate. They seem to be readily available on the used market and are generally lest costly than the ISP new.

I'm currently getting a second board together, so worse comes to worse, I'll put whichever I like less on the second board.

Really curious about he noise clamp

So am I...

Deli

Everyone raves about the ISP Decimator but honestly, I think it sucks. Literally. This pedal sucks the life out of my tone. Plus it really chokes out long sustaining notes to the point where i have to shut the damn thing off when I do a solo. I think I'm gonna try the MXR Smart Gate. I used to have a Boss NS-2 and that wasn't much better, either. But the Decimator is way overrated and doesn't work for shit. At least not for me.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread