What is better?

Updated
dawg
My birthday is coming up in a few months, and my parents, uncles, aunts, and grandparents said that they all would chip in a bit to get me a guitar (My second) for my gift. I'm considering the ESP LTD EC-256 and the Epiphone Goth Explorer. I like them both, and have played guitars with those shapes so I know I feel comfortable with them. But which one is better? Or is there another guitar that is very close to the $400 dollar range that is even better?
blistered earth

dude they are totally different beasts
are you a "small guy" if so the goth aint for you they are huge and heavy

i know people on here dont like em but id get an EX 50 they actually are good guitars my guitarist has both and we both prefer the EX ofer the EPI and hes 6,2 200+lbs and ime 5,7and under 170

if you get any of them you may want to change pups tho

dawg

dude they are totally different beasts
are you a "small guy" if so the goth aint for you they are huge and heavy

i know people on here dont like em but id get an EX 50 they actually are good guitars my guitarist has both and we both prefer the EX ofer the EPI and hes 6,2 200+lbs and ime 5,7and under 170

if you get any of them you may want to change pups tho
I'm definately not small, I'm 13 years old and six foot. I'd actually like to get both of them eventually, hopefully by christmas time. One of them for a birthday gift and one with my own money that I am saving for right now. As for the EX's, I think they are ugly because of the sharpened edges

diadorastriker

Look at bcr, best bang for your buck right now.

dawg

Look at bcr, best bang for your buck right now.
What is bcr?

Velt017

BC Rich

blistered earth

the ec will also be easier to get a case for and transport

andrei

the ec will also be easier to get a case for and transport

+1

i found that the explorer, especially in a case, is pretty hard to move around.

Velt017

They are both poo guitars though... seriously, just take the $400 and save it for something non shitty. You don't want 3 shitty guitars. Get a nice one.

dawg

They are both poo guitars though... seriously, just take the $400 and save it for something non shitty. You don't want 3 shitty guitars. Get a nice one.
I'll see if I can take the $400, but I don't think I'll be able to.

EDIT: I asked, and my parents said "No, it wouldn't be a gift then." So I think I might get the Explorer and put my money that I am currently saving towards an ESP LTD ec-1000 Deluxe. I've played it before, and it is truly awesome

load more replies (1 of 1)
LithelShrimper

Pretty much this...

I've bought a couple Epiphones, and if I saved the money from those plus a little more I could have got a Gibson. I do like my Epi's though, don't get me wrong...

I got my self a nice American Tele now, now I'm lookin' for a Gibson (Les Paul or Explorer)

Take it from somebody around your age. Try if you can, to get or work towards something completely worth while.

It looks like in your situation your gonna have to pick one, just pick what you like. Who cares what we like.

dawg

I should also mention that the goth explorer is still a big step up from my only Electric right now. Right now I have an S101 Dragon.

Nagash

"Which is better" is actually a very difficult question. Do you only play heavy music ? Are you lead guitarist or rhythm guitarist ? You might want a guitar with a vibrato, with 24 frets instead of 22... maybe you should consider other models.

Quality wise, I'd say the epiphone is better than the LTD. LTDs start being better than epiphone at the 400 series, or the deluxe models. This is my opinion, I hope the others will share it.

dawg

"Which is better" is actually a very difficult question. Do you only play heavy music ? Are you lead guitarist or rhythm guitarist ? You might want a guitar with a vibrato, with 24 frets instead of 22... maybe you should consider other models.

Quality wise, I'd say the epiphone is better than the LTD. LTDs start being better than epiphone at the 400 series, or the deluxe models. This is my opinion, I hope the others will share it.
Whenever I jam with friends I always play rhythm and rarely a solo. So mainly rhythm. And I think I am going to go with the Epiphone, and then keep saving my money and get a EC-1000 Deluxe

idpmofo

Quality wise, I'd say the epiphone is better than the LTD. LTDs start being better than epiphone at the 400 series, or the deluxe models.
I'd agree.
EC-256 - $399
If you look around, you can find a used EC-1000 for under $500.

SweetLeaf

Try to find one of the LTD 401 series on Musiciansfriend. They're going for $469.

catears

If it's for free you damn well should be happy with whatever you get, you unappreciative asshole

SweetLeaf

If it's for free you damn well should be happy with whatever you get, you unappreciative asshole

This too.

catears

Hahaha fair enough. Personally, I'd go for the LTD over Epiphone any day.

dawg

Hahaha fair enough. Personally, I'd go for the LTD over Epiphone any day.
I would too, but since I am saving for an EC-1000 Deluxe, I would never touch this LTD because I have something that looks the same and is better once I get the 1000

Newfs

No two guitars will ever sound and feel exactly the same. Plus you could always set up your EC 1000 in standard tuning and your LTD in Drop D, when you have both.

dawg

No two guitars will ever sound and feel exactly the same. Plus you could always set up your EC 1000 in standard tuning and your LTD in Drop D, when you have both.
I didn't think about that. I think I might do that

brandono61cr

honestly the v-50 was one of the best guitars i have ever played (no kidding) and for 250 you can get the guitar and a pup to replace the bridge lh-150

JMO

andrei

i'd expect the ltd to be overall better build.

i have the goth epi and what i can say for shure is that the frets are smaller (medium jumbo maybe?) and the neck thicker than on ltds.
it's also cheaper than the 256 ec.

the only thing that spoke for the epi (for me) was the shape.
i love the explorer shape to play standing, the access to the bridge and so on.

i was pending exactly between these two guitars myself...

goog luck dude!

eetfuk14

I don't see why you couldn't make an LTD last 20 years either as long as you maintain it, don't bash the shit out of it or set it on fire. Refret when needed, dont let a battery leak in the cavity if you have EMG's and as long as the glue at the neck joint and fretboard holds you should be golden.

jet66

xAdzBaPDmJk

Post to Thread