External biasing... what do I need?

Updated
External biasing... what do I need?
I'm picking up an amp soon with external bias test points. I've usually left biasing to my amp tech (unless it was one of my Mesas, obv.). What do I need? A multimeter?
Beaten Beyond

A multimeter should do it. What amp?

Kannon

6505+ 112 combo. I want to swap the stock 6L6s for some EL34s or EL34bs. I'm picking it up tomorrow and looking to switch right away (haven't been into 6L6s in a long time).

jet66

Make sure whatever you get, it can handle well over 500 VDC. Most decent ones will, but I don't know if I'd trust anything too cheap. For about $40-$50, you can get a digital meter that will be about as accurate as a $400 meter. It just won't be as rugged nor have as many features (that you probably won't need, anyway.) My $40 DVOM I bought for home use (from Lowe's or Home Depot, I forget which now) is pretty darn accurate when it comes to reading bias current, plate voltage, and resistor values. I even A/B'd it with the Fluke 83 V I have at work, to be sure it was up to the task.

nwright

the test points on a 112 6505+ aren't truly bias test points per tube, and AFAIK is really a fixed bias amp, even if it has a bias adjustment knob (I don't think these combos do, though). Also, the combo is not switchable to EL34's, AFAIK?

Kannon

the test points on a 112 6505+ aren't truly bias test points per tube, and AFAIK is really a fixed bias amp, even if it has a bias adjustment knob (I don't think these combos do, though). Also, the combo is not switchable to EL34's, AFAIK?

Not positive, which is why I'm looking into it beforehand.

Though, so far, I dig the current tubes, which is a nice surprise.

Post to Thread