Maple

Updated
xZYRYABx
Can somebody educate me about the different types of maple? I keep eharing the terms Flamed Maple, Birds-eye Maple, and Quilt Maple but I dont know much about them besides the way they look. Can all three types be found on the same tree or is each type ditinct to a strain of maple? What are the differences in tone? Is there a difference in price? Can they all be used interchangeable for the top/neck of the guitar or does each have a distinct role?
IbbySRX

I'm a bassist, so I'm coming from that angle. Maple, in general as a body wood, will produce a brighter sound than mahogany, ash, etc. When it comes to the tops, or "caps," that's where it gets a bit more complex. Some companies will advertise their product as having a "quilted maple cap," or a "flamed cap", etc. On the lower priced models, they can have what they call a veneer or photo top. It's so thin, that it really won't make a difference with sound. Anotherwards, it's not a true cap in comparison to higher end guitars. if you look closely at a higher end model, you'll notice that the cap is much thicker, hence, you can dirive a myriad of sounds. This is especially true if you have a combo mix...maybe a swamp ash body with the quilted maple cap. Some of the Les Pauls have the mahagony body with flamed maple caps...very sharp looking. With that combination of tonewoods, you can really dial up a nice mixture of sound. Maple can also evolve in different grades...A to AAAAA. You'll really pay the bucks for a AAA and higher grade. Personally, I love the quilted maple look. Hope that helps a bit. As a bassist, I love two combinations with maple...mahogany body wings with maple cap, or ash with a maple cap.

TheDevilHimself

IMO maple necks work best with mahagony bodies.

And maple bodies are for basses only. (guitar - tinny tinny sound, Kerry King's the only one who likes that)

load more replies (1 of 1)

AMD recently released two new CPUs, the 5600x vs 5800x. These two CPUs are very similar in specs, with only one key difference – the price tag. While the 5800x is priced at $499, the 5600x can be purchased for just $199. Which CPU is worth the price? There are several factors to consider, but I’ll discuss some of the most important below.

global reach - With offices in 5 different countries, Web design Kuwait can manage projects no matter where they are located.

IbbySRX

That's a good point, Devil. Can't say I'm a real expert with the "regular" guitar woods. Maple isn't my #1 pick for a body wood (for bass), but as a cap, that's a different story.

jerry w.

Amansala resort is best for beach bootcamp in tulum. you can visit there and spend your time for body fitness.

jerry w.

Which is best place to visit for Beach Bootcamp.

jerry w.

Bikini Bootcamp have amazing yoga retreat service

jerry w.
jerry w.

Restore and renew is an amazing resort to stay in amansala.

sresr t.

Thanks for sharing

sresr t.

Maple is a dense, hard wood that is popular for use in guitar construction, particularly for necks and tops. It is known for its bright, clear tone, good sustain, and durability.

sresr t.

thanks

Hudson C.

Certainly, I'd be happy to provide some insight into the different types of maple used in guitar making.

1. Flamed Maple: Flamed maple, often referred to as tiger stripe maple, features a wavy or flame-like pattern in the wood grain. It's highly prized for its visual appeal and is commonly used as a top wood on acoustic and electric guitars. In terms of tone, it's known for its bright and articulate sound, making it a popular choice for achieving a crisp, clear tone.

2. Bird's-Eye Maple: Bird's-eye maple has a distinctive pattern characterized by small, round, irregular "bird's-eye" formations in the grain. This type of maple is rarer and often used for the necks of guitars. It's known for its stable and strong qualities, contributing to the neck's durability. The tone it produces is generally bright with good sustain.

3. Quilted Maple: Quilted maple displays a mesmerizing quilt-like pattern in the wood grain, and it's often used as a top wood. Its appearance is highly prized, and it's known for its 3D-like effect. In terms of tone, quilted maple offers a balanced sound with a bit more warmth compared to flamed maple.

These different types of maple are not found on the same tree but represent distinct variations of the maple species. The choice of which one to use in guitar making depends on the desired visual aesthetic and tonal characteristics. While they can be used interchangeably for tops and necks, luthiers often choose them based on their unique properties to achieve specific tonal qualities and appearances.

In terms of price, the rarity and visual appeal of these maples can impact their cost. Flamed and quilted maple tend to be more expensive due to their unique patterns and demand in the market. Bird's-eye maple, while also visually striking, might be more reasonably priced.

Ultimately, the choice of maple depends on your personal preference for aesthetics and the tonal characteristics you want to achieve in your guitar.

elizabeth w.

maple bodies are for basses only. (guitar - tinny tinny sound, Kerry King's the only one who likes that

elizabeth w.

Sure, here is an explanation of the different types of maple:

Flamed maple is a type of maple wood that has a wavy, flame-like grain pattern. It is caused by a genetic mutation that causes the wood to grow in a distorted way. Flamed maple is often used for decorative purposes, such as in furniture and guitar making. if you face any dentist problem then you can contact the premier dental

Post to Thread