Studio Monitor Help

Updated
Mr Walley
Maybe it will get better responses in here. I just bought a pair of Samson 50w active studio speakers. I installed them and they pick up the hard drive noises and a rhythmic beeping every second. Is there any way to stop it? It didn't happen with the headphones or the crappy computer speakers. It is setup Speakers>Firewire Solo out>computer I know it is not the Firewire because the noise goes away when the computer is off and the Firewire is still on.
Sixstringhotshot

Move your speaker cables away from the computer and it's cables?

DeathrollJM

its most likely a ground issue with your audio interface. USB and firewire if its not ground right will give off interference from the shit in your computer. Nothing you can do except upgrade your computer or interface. IME it seems to happen with USB/Firewire and onboard audio, really don't know how to fix it.

nwright

I have the same issue with my computer (I use a laptop). The sound comes through when I'm recording, but it isn't "printed" to the track, it's just annoying computer noise, not real loud.

The only things that really helped me was removing the battery from the laptop when I was using it to record (running only off the adapter), and running my laptop adapter on a different circuit from my interface. It lowered the volume of the noise, but didn't completely get rid of it. Also, this is something that theoretically could have been there before, just not heard with the computers speakers due to a lesser frequency response or something.

In my case, I think the adapter altogether (in some combo with the battery) creates the issue. If I take the battery out and record straight from the adapter, it's less noisy...Put the battery in (while still having it plugged into an outlet), and the noise gets louder. However, if I run straight off the laptop battery and NO adapter at all, it's silent as can be...Problem is, with laptops when running off the battery the CPU usage is lower, so I get more latency, the processing slows down, and I can't use as many plugs.

Mr Walley

Thanks SSHS and DJM. I'm using a desktop pc, nwright. I'll try messing with it again later today. I went to Sam Ash to see if I could get some help. Of course the guy in the recording dept. was being a typical sales dude. He said that the Firewire Solo is the problem, and a piece of crap that I should have never bought, and to buy something 3x as much. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him that he was the dick that sold it to me 2 years ago. Prick.

Put

^ :rollin wish i was there!

cant help you... sorry

Post to Thread