Looking in to buying a new Head

Updated
Metalmilitia306
Right now i have a Crate BV120H Blue Voodoo, and im running it through a Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Cab. it sounds pretty good but im looking to get a better amp. Any recomendations? Ive been debating on getting either: Randall V2 Peavey 6505+ or 5150II Peavey XXX what amp would you guys prefer or suggest?
DeathIsMyJustice

What kinda music you playing dude?

Metalmilitia306

What kinda music you playing dude?

i play mostly metal like In Flames, Metallica, kinda stuff.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Necroticism07

What's your price range?

I've got a 6505+ on order, should arrive mid february, can't wait. A 6505+ through the rectifier 4x12 will sound fucking insane, brootz!

spawnofthesith

I have a 5150II/6505+ or whatever you want to call it, and I love it. I have never tried out that Randall, but I have played a XXX for a little while before. The XXX will indeed have a much better clean channel than the 5150II, but, imo, the distorted channel is not as heavy and saturated as the 5150II. Thats where the 5150 line's strength is really at, and why it has been the standard for metal the past 15 years

load more replies (1 of 1)
gorsch

wow, honestly all 3 are great amps. Havent owned a V2 or known anyone that has but I've almost bought one many times. It has a very distinct tone to it, and you can pretty much shape it anyway you want with the built in graphic EQ. But I've always been kinda "ify" on one since it is still solid state. That and that the Sam ash I go to had 2 and they both developed issues before going out the door. I believe it was a bad pre amp tube (yes they do have actuall pre amp tubes) and that is easily replaced, but I've also heard about other problems. They do sound great for metal though and especially with any low tunings (I was using my 7 in dropped A). They stay super tight and huge.

But, I would still say either the XXX or 5150II/6505+ would be safer. I've played 5150's for about 10 years now without any major problems. Havent owned a XXX but really would like to. Played many and have lots of expierience with them, just never owned one. I'd like one simply because the 3 seperate EQ's. I'd run the Crunch and my main gain and the lead channel for solos. Cant really do that on the 5150II and still have a usable clean. Just make sure you got good tubes in either, not just the stock ones. And also crank the bias pot in the back by the power tubes. Either would sound awsoome through a Mesa cab. I'd actually be jelious because I've been looking for a good deal on a used mesa cab for years.

Necroticism07

SSHS is selling his V2 for $8008o

:lol

Sixstringhotshot

SSHS is selling his V2 for $8008o

:lol

Quoted for truth.

Buy my amp, or the XXX. I can't stand the 5150/6505 series.

Metalmilitia306

are there any other amps you guys recommend? I've played the V2 at a sam ash but i didn't really get to mess with it but it still sounded good.

Necroticism07

I don't know what the US prices are like but maybe;
Mesa Single rectifier
Mesa dual Rectifier
Engl Blackmore
VHT Delivarence

gorsch

I don't know what the US prices are like but maybe;

Engl Blackmore

Blackmore!!!!!. The other guy in my band has one. Matches well with my 5150II. They're actually pretty cheap here. I think @ $1600 new. I do wish it had a seperate EQ for clean though. Heard great things about the Fireball too, but it also only has 1 eq for both channels. :(

Justinschut

5150 is great, as well as the ENGL Fireball

diadorastriker

JSX it has 6505 tones in it plus a good clean channel

Post to Thread