Educate me on Recto's

Updated
mazen
More specifically the 2 channel older ones... What are the differences between the dual and triple? How do the tones differ? What are the best tubes to use with them for hard rock/metal? How versatile are they? like, how are the cleans? can they do some brutal rolling distortion or sharp distortion? post pics if you own the 2 channel ones...
mazen

great site... but i really mainly want to know what the differences are between the dual and triple... is it just that one is 100W and the other is 150W?

tonewise i just want to know if it has definition... that you can clearly tell the difference between notes... and if it has good cleans...

Fordman65

great site... but i really mainly want to know what the differences are between the dual and triple... is it just that one is 100W and the other is 150W?

tonewise i just want to know if it has definition... that you can clearly tell the difference between notes... and if it has good cleans...

Clean is not so much to be honest. I have heard and owned much better. Definition is there butt you must know how to dial in the amp. As with any Mesa the knobs are very sensitive and you need to tweak. But great tone is there especially with the older models. I have a 92 Dual and love it, I use a clean boost in front of the amp and I can't go wrong.

xnatex

i cant give you a good comparison between a dual and a triple. all i have ever owned are duals. i would imagine the cleans would be better on the triples due to more headroom. as far as note definition.....the dual sounds great to me. it all depends on how you dial in the amp and technique

kgry

Mark III.

poidaobi

Rectifiers are often the Scapegoat of shitty players.

DeathrollJM

Rectifiers are often the Scapegoat of shitty players.

+1

shitty player have a tendency to use flubby/muddy amps to hide their slop. also some hope that having a recto is the quickest way of sounding like teh jaymz

still with the SS recto engaged and a good OD pedal, the rectos can be a tight and articulate amp.

load more replies (1 of 1)
mazen

sorry for the late reply guys... i was in Saudi Arabia... had a good time... anyway... thanks for all the help... there aren't that many clips online to check out the older 2-channel ones... the newer ones i must say sound like crap...

so can anyone tell me what the differences are between the dual and triple? is it just the 100W vs 150W?

Strange

sorry for the late reply guys... i was in Saudi Arabia... had a good time... anyway... thanks for all the help... there aren't that many clips online to check out the older 2-channel ones... the newer ones i must say sound like crap...

so can anyone tell me what the differences are between the dual and triple? is it just the 100W vs 150W?

I believe the dual is a bit more focused than the triple. But not that much difference overall.

I play an older triple rec with a boost in front and I love it.

mazen

what do you mean by focused?

Dilzdo21

mesa's single/dual/triple are all hype

they suck!

all mark series

roadster

stilleto

and some power amps

RULE!

Fordman65

mesa's single/dual/triple are all hype

they suck!

all mark series

roadster

stilleto

and some power amps

RULE!

The roadster is a dual recto dude.

GuitarmanST

Quick addition to this- I am considering buying an Old band mates Triple Rect, Head. Fairly good condition, I believe it is older and with out the "loop active" knobs so im guessing does this mean its only 2 channel? Why i ask is he never owned the actual pedal board for it, and from what he knows the clean channel doesnt work..Well he played in Definitions of Cruelty in Iowa so i highly doubt he ever tried getting it too ;)
( played with jungle rot, etc)

Does this sound like as good score? 900$ WITH a hardshell case... Maybe the clean tubes were blown, or maybe i just need a new pedal board for it. And would there be any difference if this is an older amp compared to getting a New pedal outlay for this?

Thanks

I, Voyager

Quick addition to this- I am considering buying an Old band mates Triple Rect, Head. Fairly good condition, I believe it is older and with out the "loop active" knobs so im guessing does this mean its only 2 channel? Why i ask is he never owned the actual pedal board for it, and from what he knows the clean channel doesnt work..Well he played in Definitions of Cruelty in Iowa so i highly doubt he ever tried getting it too ;)
( played with jungle rot, etc)

Does this sound like as good score? 900$ WITH a hardshell case... Maybe the clean tubes were blown, or maybe i just need a new pedal board for it. And would there be any difference if this is an older amp compared to getting a New pedal outlay for this?

Thanks

that's an awesome deal. DO IT.

exhibit-sbt

I owned a Dual Recto once, I can't really say anything about it. Sounded pretty good, 3 channel. Like 1200$ on ebay. Though I've moved myself into the Peavey XXX's.

I will say after trying all the rectos at various friends places and guitar center if I ever go back it would only be to a Roadster head, those things are great.

That or a Studio preamp, Mark 2C+, or a Mark 3. Even purer tone, less grit.

themisfit138

I owned a Dual Recto once, I can't really say anything about it. Sounded pretty good, 3 channel. Like 1200$ on ebay. Though I've moved myself into the Peavey XXX's.

I will say after trying all the rectos at various friends places and guitar center if I ever go back it would only be to a Roadster head, those things are great.

That or a Studio preamp, Mark 2C+, or a Mark 3. Even purer tone, less grit.
Go with a Mark III black dot very similar to a IIC+ but cheaper.

GuitarmanST

Right on- And am I truthful in saying i can only control 2 channels with this model Rect.. Is there any possible way i can get a natural boost from the head itself? WITH the right pedal-

Why i ask is there is still a bit to learn before i take this bad boy home for good, the clean channel still doesnt seem to work and i do not have a pedal to use to try it, so stand alone, i have no clue if im even able to chance the channels or maybe it is some internals...
Argh

I, Voyager

Triple Rectifier + Ibanez TS-9 = best tone ever.

GuitarmanST

Triple Rectifier + Ibanez TS-9 = best tone ever.
as a tone in general, or as a boost for lead-
thats the one thing i would mainly be looking into

Mr.Dahl

The clean sucks. That's enough. And to much bass on the distorted chanel.

LordCliffton

if that old bandmates 2 chan Trip_rect's clean channel doesn't work at all.. even for $900 w/hardcase,, SCREW THAT. They aren't that expensive to buy in working condition.. I'd guess around $1300,, which is $400 more than he's asking,, and I'm GUESSING also about what it'd cost to get it fixed properly. Just get a XXX for $700 and you'll be FINE.

GuitarmanST

if that old bandmates 2 chan Trip_rect's clean channel doesn't work at all.. even for $900 w/hardcase,, SCREW THAT. They aren't that expensive to buy in working condition.. I'd guess around $1300,, which is $400 more than he's asking,, and I'm GUESSING also about what it'd cost to get it fixed properly. Just get a XXX for $700 and you'll be FINE.
thats what im starting to think- I gigged it a few times 8o Not bad, but.... Its used... extremely used, good condition but thats about it.. nothing overly special.

Thanks alot guys but i may walk away from this deal if he cant drop the price BIG time

LordCliffton

right, at least enough to compensate for it being fixed properly... hell, even JSX's are kickass, as already mentioned. There are plenty of Rectos in the sea.. just keep looking if you really truly must own a Recto-they are nice amps. I don't like the limitations the older models have with speaker outs, but that's my thing. They still sound good.

And aren't those, 5150s, xxx/jsx, and a couple others supposed so be each respective companies take(with minor tonal tweaks, of course) on an Soldano SLO100 anyways? *shakes head* If that's the case and all you really want is the Gain channel,, I say screw em all and think you should get a Soldano Avenger(gain channel of the SLO100)... If I had my druthers I think I'd look at a Soldano Decatone for more versatility though-as well as better resale value too.

Again,, lots of fish in the sea.. just a matter of finding what (tone)you like to fish for & CATCH I suppose? lol
peace

GuitarmanST

I MAY have a another lead on an Engl Powerball, a freinds boss is selling his as soon as his Custom head is made ( i have no clue on the details haha) but i think he wants maybe 900$ cash, so i may develope a slitte itch on my trigger finger

LordCliffton

do not develope it-REFINE THAT SHIT & GET IT!

Post to Thread