5150 Combo Problem

Updated
Gwedo
I have had this a while now but im getting interested in a Vetta 2 now so i need to sort out the little issue i have :) Basically i getting alot of noise on the drive channel even with my noisgate you cant reduce it at all just buzzzzzzzzzsss the tone is still good and the amp sounds great but its soooooo noisy. Guessing its the Valves.....well I hope. I can get the power valves from work today so i was going to see if this sorted it but what do you think the odds are its the power valves? I would need to order the pre amp valves from the states and they will take ages to get here. What are the odds its the power valves? remote i guess!
Gwedo

Cheers dude, sorry I did rush my last post so it ....had a few errors lol

I work for a guitar shop and i can get valves at trade, however the supplier is in the USA :-/ so thats why i dont really want to get them in the UK

If i get Electro harmonix valves i can revalve the entire amp for £32! but i know there not the best valves in the world! i think i have JJ in there at the moment.........im not big on valves thou i need to get my knowledge up on that :)

Im running the noise gate in the front of the amp, however the hissing has only recently got bad ill try it thorugh the loop later on to see what happens

ozzuk1

Powertubes tend to either work or they don't, preamp tubes tedn to be the main cause of hiss and other annoyances/problems...

I'm sure the noise will be less bad running the gate in the loop...

Gwedo

Tried to gate in the loop and the hiss reduced so ......school boy error there! One of my Power tubes seems to have a slight blue glow like a cooking gas ring when its on thou but it still sounds great so.............i guess its sorted :)

Robotsatemygrandma

Blue means oxygen is in the tube. It's been happening to me since I retubed last year and I haven't noticed a difference in tone.

Gwedo

its more noisy now than it was when i got it

Gwedo

Its not the voltage, there is a switch on the back so you can change it to UK voltage, like the Kranks have

To be honest i think its ok, its just to dam heavy.....i have not found a heavier combo its very difficult to carry about!

Post to Thread