Best sandpaper for removing guitar body paint?

Updated
CaptainFantastik
I have an old Charvel Fusion Deluxe from the early 90's and I wanna remove the paint from the body. I'm wondering what grade of sandpaper would be best. I don't wanna just guess and go too heavy in case I do some damage. It's one of the higher-end Charvels from that period and I wanna give it a total makeover. It's been in storage for almost 10 years now and I just got it back yesterday.
Nostradamus

I just stripped the back of the body on one of my guitars and am currently working on the neck of another (I have refinished a few of my guitar necks). I prefer to start off with a razor blade to get the clear coat off, its faster and easier than sandpaper. Once you have gotten rid of the clear coat and are starting to thin down the paint I would change to 200 grit sandpaper. After that, clean it up with 400 grit. If you are going to be putting on a natural finish (I really like polyurethane satin) or are working on the neck I would also polish it with 600/1000 grit to get it really perfect and remove any remaining swirl marks.

Hope that helps.

CaptainFantastik

Thanks alot. Yeah, i'm going to just go with a natural finish instead of another paint job.

Nostradamus

Ok, as I said I really like the polyurethane satin, especially on guitar necks. Tung oil is another popular choice.

CaptainFantastik

Ok, as I said I really like the polyurethane satin, especially on guitar necks. Tung oil is another popular choice.

Would I be correct in assuming that Tung oil is not a finish per se but rather an oil that brings out the grain and acts as a protectant when you rub it into the wood?

el_destrukto

I've refinished a few of my guitars. In the process of 2 right now, actually. I usually start with 40-grit automotive sandpaper, then 80, 100, 150, 220, 320, etc...

LordCliffton

/\ yes.

Ryan 2%

I've stripped a few bass bodies and I quickly learned that it goes a lot faster if you use a power sander, at least until you get to the last few finishing grits, then I would do it by hand.

CaptainFantastik

Stripping a guitar body by hand is a job! Jesus. I don't have a power sander and don't wish to buy one just to do this one job. I started on it tonight after removing all the hardware and electronics. The payoff will be sweet though when it's done.

I've decided to go with Tung oil for the finish and got all the supplies today.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread