piezo purpose

Updated
CAPTAIN SARG
what is the piezo pickup used for a what does it do?
KH Guitar Freak

It's another type of pickup that senses vibration or more like pressure from the saddles...

Mostly used for acoustic tones, but in the case of a Variax, it takes the pure string signal and then you can process the tone to sound like whatever model of guitar you want...

CAPTAIN SARG

does it need another input jack ?

load more replies (1 of 1)
Fikealox

It incorporates a piezoelectric crystal, which is a crystal that generates a proportional voltage when it is subject to pressure (such as sound waves), translating vibration into an electrical signal :)

Fikealox

If you had a guitar with only piezos, with no magnetic field pulling the strings down, etc, you would probably see an increase in sustain. I guess that depends on how sensitive piezos are relative to magnetic pickups, so I'm not sure if it's true in practice, but theoretically, it's a viable thought :)

It's been intriguing me, actually...

CAPTAIN SARG

so how would you set it up?

Fikealox

Yeah, I've seen guitars with a seperate output for the piezo. Pretty sure Paul Reed Smith has a model like that :)

CAPTAIN SARG

ahh nice i think i under stand this so i could have 2 input jack say one to amp for high gain and one to clean sounds and i could use and a/b pedal for switching right?

Fikealox

Urgh, Piezo lust is beginning... :S

CAPTAIN SARG

Urgh, Piezo lust is beginning... :S

agreed

The Third Eye

you guys need to play some parkers hahah they have a model that has only peizo pups on it actually they have two :)

CAPTAIN SARG

do you activate the piezo pickup with a switch

Post to Thread