Engl!

Updated
kingkobra813
hey, i have not been on here for a long time. but i was wondering what you guys thought of engl. i have only heard good things about them. i was thinking about getting the fireball or the richie blackmore. but i kind of want to get a pros and cons of each amp. they seem similar but the blackmore has more. so help me me out let me know what you think. thanks
kingkobra813

so i am looking for like 80's thrash metal sound. like testament and kill em all album or exodus' bonded by blood type of tone. do you think the fireball would be better?

kingkobra813

yeah i heard it was kind of noisy but i kind of roll back on the gain then most people and boost the mids. not a fan of the ultra scooped sounds i like mids.

so you say i should get a gate i will check that out.

thanks

BrazilianBootyLover

I have an engl blackmore and I play melodic death metal. I have the gain a little past 1 o clock and has more then enough gain ( I like to have extra gain ).

ecause the fb has more gain and it is more suited for metal

I guess you forgot about the 4th channel.

For a few hundred then the fb the blackmore is the right choice.

kingkobra813

t'cat i think we have the same taste in tone. just becuase you used the word raw. thats how i like my tone raw. plain and simple raw. word i just put in my order for the fireball there goes 1grand of my tax return.

esp_gaijin

you're the king of bra's? that's cool. i would call myself the king of panties but then people would think i wear them. :o

i've only owned the fb but i kinda think either amp might do what you want; but if it were me and the words "old school" were bandied about, i'd opt for the blackmore;
if someone instead mentioned bands like seether, chevelle, or such, i'd probably say fireball.

jmo tho and i have no business posting in this thread at all. |I

*goes away*

SuperDuperNaut

i own a fireball i wish i owned a blackmore. nuff said.

im gonna correct that situation as soon as i can....actually thats a lie after like a couple guitars and another cabinet.................all of that after i find another damn job.........

CaptainFantastik

Engl is nothing. John Petrucci has a rig that can not only control the rate of the earth's rotation, but also control the burn temperature of the sun as well as how many people die around the world in a minute. He uses that rig to kill people by playing 6 million notes per second.

HateEvent

I always recommend the E670 SE EL34 if it is atall plausible. I've never looked back :)

CaptainFantastik

Mathcore? You guys use algebraic equations to figure out tempo changes and shit?

load more replies (1 of 1)
SuperDuperNaut

i dont have a problem with my fireball (love it actually) but the savage120 i tried was AWESOME. the blackmore is based on the savage and has some features (versatility wise) that i kinda wish were on the fireball. Dont get me wrong though, the fireball kicks serious ass. PS buy an eq and a bbe sonic maximizer!!! (and a noise gate)

hermz

I'm pretty friggin' happy with the Powerball. Can't see myself getting rid of it unless it's to help fund an SE.

Guitarslingerans

This thread makes me LOL. Anyone who doesn't understand that the Blackmore is voiced more openly, more natural which is more raw, and more "80's thrash" sound, doesn't understand what those tones actually are. The Fireball is voiced along the same lines as the Powerball, which is plain and simple voiced to be a compressed, saturated, hi gain, MODERN METAL sounding amplifier. The Fireball follows those same lines. Does the Fireball sound exactly like the Powerball? Absolutely not. It sounds better to me, because it is a LITTLE more open and natural sounding. Not as compressed.

However, the Blackmore is voiced for Ritchie Blackmore...go listen to his tones and tell me that is more modern and compressed than the Fireball/Powerball. Duh, it isn't. The Blackmore is organic, tight, crisp clear and has much less saturation, and retains the note clarity the Fireball/Powerball does not. It doesn't have the same bottom end "oomph" the Fireball/Powerball has either, which is more along the lines of a 80's voiced metal tone, before the modern huge low ends came into amplifier's voicings.

If you want a more raw, aggressive tone, that is clear, crisp and has nice note clarity and chime, get the Blackmore. If you want more modern metal "chug" with a big low end, lots of saturation, compression and gain, get the Fireball. End of discussion.

-Ans-

Guitarslingerans

But it's the Blackmore's core voicing structure that brings about the charactoristics of the amp in question. Yes, if you lower the gain and raise the mids, you will open the the amp up more, and it will sound more natural, but ti still won't sound like the Blackmore.

-Ans-

the_emptier

im pretty sure im gonna get a blackmore

SuperDuperNaut

^^^ yeah dude, my gain is at 12 o clock tops on my fireball. Heaps of gain.

chevy Z 302

my gain on my PB is higher on the clean channel than the distortion

right about 11 on the clean and under 9 on the gain. o'clock of course

kingkobra813

well it arrived yesterday and i got to play it today awesome. pure awesome.

couldn't be happier. compared to my other guitar players jcm 2000 dsl. its a lot tighter and really for 60 watts loud enough. it could be that we are both playing from full stacks. but 60 watts is plenty. i love the tone. very pleased with my choice on this one.

thanks so every one input and opinion it helped give me that push just to make a decision. would post pics put way to excited just to play it i forgot to bring a camera.

Post to Thread