What power tubes does james use?

Updated
Asmodaus
6L6 or el34? in his strategy 400. yes, I searched and did not find an answer to this question although I'm almost certain it's 6L6's.
RedStripe

:rollin

Asmodaus

What's funny. I missed the joke.

Pushead

Teh Jaymz uses special 6L34 tubes.

RedStripe

Mark K.

no he has always used elL6

arsiscode

Teh JAYMZ???? He doesn't use tubes! He just nigger-rigs in some D-cells.

load more replies (1 of 1)
ChainOfThought

12ax7's in the power section.

Only path to the 00b3r t0n3z

RedStripe

Pushead

To my knowledge, the older Strategy amps only took 6L6 tubes.

Guitarslingerans

To my knowledge, the older Strategy amps only took 6L6 tubes.

Negative, you could mix in EL34s.

-Ans-

Butch

N00bz. James doesnt use tubes. He's been using vetta since the St. anger sessions.

OutlawTorn

N00bz. James doesnt use tubes. He's been using vetta since the St. anger sessions.

so he got rid of the diezel rig? i know he uses line 6 effects and there acoustic but.....amps im not sure about it

ESPimperium

Jeasus fucking Christ man, id say James uses teh mystical glass thingery bobs for his tonez!!!

LordCliffton

Question: Why didn't you seek out info on the Mesa Strategy 400 itself instead of querying a forum known for its giddyness? That would have been 1000 fold more direct methinks.

FWIW, both Jamz/Kirk used a Marshall that was modded in the very early years & have used it on just about all of their albums at 1 point or another... And it wasn't until about RTL or MOP that he 'borrowed' Kirk Mk IIC+ for all eternity... so, which 'early tone' are you talking about exactly, as there are at least a couple.

Asmodaus

I'm quite familiar with the Strategy 400. doesn't mean I know what tubes he used.

Puppets tone. The triaxis nails the load reload without much effort or the extra $$$ in gear james uses. But, I've been tinkering a lot, you know how Mesa amps are, tinkering is part of the fun. That's when I started thinking about the power section on these early recordings. James always loved the growl of the strategy amp when cranked. Maybe an EL34 was used in there to mix things up.

ChainOfThought

We're ragging you because its an age-old and ridiculous question/phenomenon. You're on the right track with 'i think I'll just go out drop the money and try these out.'

Asking what gear james/kirk/any other famous musicians uses to try and get their tone...not gonna get you anywhere.

Post to Thread