2 EMG 81s a bit too brutal

Updated
Hisashi
Am thinking about swaping out my neck 81 for a 60,would tis be a nice setup. As I need so cleans.
njrusmc

I have the 81/60 setup on my MH400NT, it sounds great. I prefer the 60 over the 85 even for distortion, not to mention cleans. It has a brighter attack, almost single coil sound, as compared to the 85 which is just too beefy and fat. The 60 is fatter than the 81, not as sterile and brutal, but still has some warmth. Definitely digging it. Never tried the 81 in the neck position, although I can imagine it would be brutal.

Bridge The Void

The 81 in the neck is actually a really nice alternative to the 60 - I swear by my 60's in the neck, but as I'm selling my M-1000 I shoved the 81's back in there and plugged it in...some really nice clean tones, as well as the most gorgeous lead tones. I'm gonna miss it when it goes :(

Hisashi

You mean switch out my neck 81 for that 89? How would the pickup selector work then?

Colin Parks ESP Artist

Am thinking about swaping out my neck 81 for a 60,would tis be a nice setup. As I need so cleans.

I really like the set up of emg 85 in bridge and 89 in neck, much nicer tone i think.

njrusmc

The 89 utilizes a push-pull mechanism. One position sounds like an 85, the other like an SA ... I think.

xcc

swapping the 81 for a 60? :O

I did the opposite thing :p

load more replies (1 of 1)
Hisashi

Ive heard of a pickup called the 81-tz or somethin like that and it can do the bru000talllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and cleans very well.

njrusmc

I dont know xcc, a 60 in the neck is great for sweep picking. The diminished pick attack is nice in that regard, at least.

xcc

^ true

Post to Thread