Need advice: changing pups in MHB-400 Baritone?

Updated
mikerockstar
Hey everyone. I am the proud owner of a EC-1000VB and a MHB-400 Baritone. Lately I've been disappointed in the tones from my MHB-400. It's not like they are bad, but in comparison with my EC-1000 through the same amps, the baritone seems a bit dull (for lack of a better word). And yes, I remember to change the pickup battery :) Here's some background. I own a Line6 Spider II 112, and recently got a Randall RH300 head which is paired with a Randall RS125CX cabinet (2x12" 1x15"). Forget the Spider, it's just for practice. Not big on its sounds, but it works well enough. I'm more concerned with the sound through my halfstack. With my pedal setup, the EC-1000 sounds great through the stack. But when I then switch to the Bari, lately I've found it just doesn't sound as nice as the EC-1000, no matter what tweaking I do to all my settings. Now, I tune my MHB to C-standard and drop B-flat. I don't think the lower tuning is really making the tone difference here. (I mean, obviously it does a bit, but I don't think that is what causes such a distinct difference). I'm curious if it is the neck pickup, since the MHB-400 uses an EMG 85 whereas the EC-1000 uses a 60. Has anyone had any experience with changing the active pickups in one of these baritones? Or does anyone have the pickup experience/knowledge to give some advice? Here's a bit of extra info if it will help in the thought process about it all: I play mostly rhythm guitar, and my genres are rock, hard/heavy rock, metalcore, death metal, hardcore, post-hardcore, punk....all that stuff, mostly. Anyways, ultimately I'm thinking of swapping the neck 85 for a 60 like the EC-1000 and am wondering if this is a good idea, or what other alternatives there might be. Thanks so much!
ESPimperium

It may just be the body woods, the MHB-400 is a STB neck and a Alder body and the EC is a Set Neck and Mahogany w/ Maple top, this may be the problem, but i sence not. If it is the problem id say the Viper Bari may have been closer to what you wanted.

Id say get a 60 if you like that in the neck, its a simple thing of taking all the strings off, unscrewing the surround and the takine the 85 out and putting a 60 in, as the EMGs should have a Quick Connect cable. Ive done this a few times with my old Epi Zakk Buzzsaw and my EC-500 OW.

Baris are a diffrent beast, the require a diffrent EQ and such i think.

mikerockstar

Thanks for that reply! Very informative.

I've tried a lot of EQ setups and just can't match what I can get with my EC-1000. Obviously it's personal preference, but I just find my EC-1000 rapes the MHB in tone.

I'm just at that point where I need to try something else. I love the feel of the guitar, it plays great. I love the finish, too. And I CAN get some great tones from it, especially cleans.

Anyone else have an opinion?
Thanks!

Gfunk

It may just be the body woods, the MHB-400 is a maple neck thru and a maple body

Fixed.

;)

Sixstringhotshot

You shouldn't be using the neck pickup for any riffing. If you are, this is probably why it doesn't sound all that great. If you're using the bridge pickup on both guitars, changing the neck pickup won't make it sound any different.

Post to Thread