What picksups to put in my ESP?

Updated
Viper08
Hello, im currently looking for some new pickups to put into my ESP Ex-50 Explorer. I currently have a viper 400 with the emg 81/85 pickups. So i was thinking about putting a pair of those into my explorer, i would like the 81 on the bridge, but i cant decide whether to get the emg 85 or an emg60 for the neck. Can anyone tell any huge differences between the 85 and the 60? I play alot of metal, killswitch engage, trivium, the heavier down tuned music. Ive heard the 60s are great for the neck, but that 85 is nice too :) any help would be much appreciated. thanks
idpmofo

You;ll prob. want 85 or 81 for what ur playing.

Bridge The Void

60's are the more bluesy PAF based neck pickup tone, IMO a much more desirable neck pickup than the 85. If you want nicer cleans, get a 60. The 85 is more bold and punchy, not to my taste in the neck but perfect for what I play in the bridge.

Butch

you will probably wanna put $200 for new emg;s into a new guitar,

ESPimperium

you will probably wanna put $200 for new emg;s into a new guitar,

+1 on that one, i had EMGs in the F-50 i had, they did make the sound better on it, but imo youd be better re investing that money youd spend on EMGs on say a EX-400 or something simmilar.

I have now came to the conclusion that if youre spending more than half of what the guitar cost you in "getting it there" to the tone you want its probably worth looking else where for a new axe.

So the EX-50 is £259 UK, EMGs are roughly £79 X2, so youll be putting roghly £160 into that axe, id forget that for now and save for a better axe. Altho if you want to put something like a Duncan Distortion or Duncan Custom in the bridge to get a better sound for the short to medium term id say go for it, but just remember if it takes more money to get a guitar there id say screw it and get a new better axe.

Altho if its a axe thats got sentimental value or even a guitar thats worth it in your eyes to mod id say go for it.

OutlawTorn

Hello, im currently looking for some new pickups to put into my ESP Ex-50 Explorer. I currently have a viper 400 with the emg 81/85 pickups. So i was thinking about putting a pair of those into my explorer, i would like the 81 on the bridge, but i cant decide whether to get the emg 85 or an emg60 for the neck. Can anyone tell any huge differences between the 85 and the 60? I play alot of metal, killswitch engage, trivium, the heavier down tuned music. Ive heard the 60s are great for the neck, but that 85 is nice too :) any help would be much appreciated. thanks

i have the 60...my buddy got a ZW set put in his lp before i got my 60N/81B set and he went out a week later and bought a 60....i like the 60 alot better for cleans...i play metallica, pantera,sabbath,slayer stuff like that...

Rainingashes

If you love metallica's james hetfields tone then go for the 81/60's cos thats what he uses, its more for a crunchy rhythm tone, but i would chose 81/85 for the down tuned music you like, im a huge fan of As I Lay Dying and the guitarists use active EMG 81/85 pickups and it sounds kick ass sharp and aggresive! I also have the dan jacobs sig explorer with those pickups and it sounds amazingly amazing!

eeceviper

IMHO a 60 sounds better than any other in the bridge spot because the tone is fat, well balanced and has a breakup in the dirty channel that none other can match. I want to go with a 85 in the neck and a 60 in the bridge.

MyApocalypse

Duncan Blackouts FTW

Horror Bull

EMG 60
EMG 81

he'll be like an ex-400 now

Post to Thread