want a better tone

Updated
smokeyalater
So i have an HD147 but it's not as punchy as I'd like it to be. I was thinking of buying a tube amp but I don't want to lose the HD's effects. If i hook a tube head up to my HD via fx loop what will happen? If i slave the HD into a tube amp what will happen? and what will happen if i run them both at the same time with an A/B switch? and is there anyway ill be able to go from a distorted channel to a clean one with one button? I need to know what my options are to set up my ideal rig. If anyone has any suggestions or advice from past experiences that would be great, thanks.
smokeyalater

i was thinking of mixing 2 amp tones together or something along the lines of that, but the pod and tube power-amp could work for me.

Deadpulse

i was thinking of mixing 2 amp tones together or something along the lines of that, but the pod and tube power-amp could work for me.

I did that, it was alright. Had my XT Live going through a Mesa 50/50 and it was pretty decent. Depending on what kind of tube head you get though, you might get really shitty results running it through the power section of the HD147 or slaving it through tubes. try it out, but dont' hold your breath for something amazing to happen

smokeyalater

i had tried a bbe sonic maximizer on a spider at a store and it made little difference to the tone. but im going to look into the pod idea. thanks.

Joe_Bradburry

i played a peavey 6505 once, and that thing had so much punch i had to go to the hospital! :p

sp1ke

this thread delivers!

TheDevilHimself

@riffmaster

Well i do think that modelling amps are the future and will overtake classic tube amps, but I also think that at the moment it still takes one, two or three generations till the technology is there.

With the recording especially I think modellers are gaining a lot of ground. Like the axe-fx stuff... awesome (probably won't be too long until Line6 tries to copy that).

So why do you think Line6 brought out the Spider Valve? I don't know myself really.

wesjoh225

vetta II ?

Stephy

So why do you think Line6 brought out the Spider Valve? I don't know myself really.

To sell amps to N00bs using that technology instead of spending money on major hardware upgrades like what the Axe-Fx uses. But if you've used a spider valve is sounds very similar to a regular Spider.

Deadpulse

To sell amps to N00bs using that technology instead of spending money on major hardware upgrades like what the Axe-Fx uses. But if you've used a spider valve is sounds very similar to a regular Spider.

..........I love you.........

seriously, it's still has buzzy and fizzy models on it and no one will fuckin believe me. The main difference I've heard was it's just WAY louder

load more replies (1 of 1)
Roadhouse

Heres is my take on the whole tube vs solid state. They way the sound can be argued either way. I prefer tube for the feel, I like the way tubes react, the responsiveness of them. Each have there place if tubes were perfect you would not see guys like Satch or Vai using a ds-1 and a their clean channel for some runs.

Edit forgot original ?. Diff cab, sonic maximizer good suggestions. What pickups are you using? Also you would be surprised how much your sound will improve by using good instrument cables.

SGCustom

Acacia Strain fan?

xcc

I used to have a randall t2, I was in love with it, I loved it, I sold it |I

Post to Thread