Changed Cabinets and lost my tone, help!!

Updated
nivek41
I recently changed cabinets from a generic custom made cabinet to a Mesa Boogie Rectifier cabinet. I play through a JSX head and the sound has definitely gotten a lot looser through the new cabinet. I can't seem to dial in a good Metal sound anymore. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
chevy Z 302

what kind of mesa cab is it?

you probably should have gone with a Trad. Recto cab would be my guess as of now

nivek41

It's a Rectifier Cabinet with 4 Vintage 30 speakers.

load more replies (1 of 1)
chevy Z 302

they only recently changed the name, the mesa traditional recto cab.

they're out there i dont think i've had a problem finding them as far as just randomly seeing them pop up.

nivek41

They appear to both be basically the same cabinet. Same speakers and output. The sizing is slightly different but not enough to significantly alter the sound.

nivek41

I'll give it a shot. Right now I had the resonance at 5 and the bass at 5.

Sixstringhotshot

1) Recto 4x12's are, as already noted, fucking awful.
2) Don't buy a sonic max. If you had the tone you want, go back to your old cab. Don't add MORE shit to your shit, that'll only further bury you in confusion and dissatisfaction.

nivek41

Thanks for the advice on reducing the bass and resonance. That did a world of good.

Mr Pigwalk

Why don't you just go back to using your old cab then?

nivek41

True - to me the JSX is the most versatile amp that I have ever played through. It is not the best at anything but is damn good at just about everything.

JeanPaul du Vinnie

Yup, same here. In the field of versatility it beats the standards in its price range IMO. I tried a Dual Rectifier and a Powerball amongst others back when I bought the JSX, and it destroyed both.

nwright

GFunk and SSHS, you have got to be kidding, right?

EchoSix

Since when is anyone actually serious here?

Btw, Recto's are teh pwnz lawl.

chevy Z 302

gfunk is dead serial

and ben is right.

Post to Thread