Peavey 6505 or 6505 plus?

Updated
espdood
I've been hearing mixed comments regarding the extra tube that the plus has. Is it for the clean channel to make it more versatile or is it used in the lead channel for better gain? One guy had contacted Peavey and they said that both amps have the same amount of gain and distortion, it's just that the plus has a better clean channel due to the extra tube and also I heard from a personal friend of mine that has both amps saying that the plus has an extra tube in the lead channel for better distortion. Which is it???
LosingReality

I've been hearing mixed comments regarding the extra tube that the plus has. Is it for the clean channel to make it more versatile or is it used in the lead channel for better gain? One guy had contacted Peavey and they said that both amps have the same amount of gain and distortion, it's just that the plus has a better clean channel due to the extra tube and also I heard from a personal friend of mine that has both amps saying that the plus has an extra tube in the lead channel for better distortion. Which is it???

Ive heard that the + has a better clean channel and that sacrafices some gain....but the gain it sacrafices most people dont use....cause ive heard it gets to fuzzy. But i dont know from experience.

espdood

Thanks man, it does make sense that way.

Takeoffyouhoser80

I've got a 6505+ and i'll note that the amp has more gain than anyone should ever use in any situation.

Some people say the 6505/5150 has a different gain sound than the 6505+. Just something to think about

espdood

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be getting the 6505 in the future. The 5150 II that I had before must've been a lemon, because it didn't sound as good as the 6505 at the guitar center.

Dark Alone

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Machine Head use the rhythm channel for their shit, with a boost either in front or in the loop? I don't recall, but I think that's what the pictures of their amps looked liked.

Guitarslingerans

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Machine Head use the rhythm channel for their shit, with a boost either in front or in the loop? I don't recall, but I think that's what the pictures of their amps looked liked.

Rhythm channel, Crunch on, bright on, Boost in front. Crush tone, right there.

-Ans-

Dark Alone

I want a 5150 for recording and fucking around with. :lol I've always had a good experience with them.

T-nuts

Sorry Jaffis, I coulda sworn it was the plus and II that only had the rhythm switch.

But anyways.

I find that the lead channel WITHOUT ANY EQ's or any sort of add on, no matter what I do just sounds so bleak and tinny, and just doesn't do anything at all for me.
I run the Crunch channel with the gain at noon-1:00, the Lows and highs at 11:00 with the mids at noon.
The trick is to run the presence higher at about 2-3 o'clock and the resonance at noon-1:00.
I find it just sounds so much fuller and just smoother and doesn't make you cringe at the scratchy highs the lead channel has.
With an EQ it would probably help a whole lot but without one it just doesn't impress me.

I also notice that the note articulation when you are playing 5-6 string chords is alot better on the crunch channel because it seems to retain a kinds of single coil quality to it.

This is all my opinion as I don't play in a br00tz metuhl band as alot of you do....
But yeah.

T-nuts

Hahah what is it with Donting?

The only members I remember hearing about was ZAO and his bitch wife and Boogie's constant nervous breakdowns.

T-nuts

Ahahah not very often I take it.

marcy_marc2008

what cab will you be running it through?

i've found with 6505's when running them through different cabs makes a really big difference. i run mine through a marshall 1960av and my other guitarist in my band runs his through a 5150 cab (baring in mind he uses a 5150II)

but my amp has a lot more bottom end than his but his sounds a bit more focused through the sheffield speakers.

also bare in mine if you run an overdrive infront of the amp on the lead channel it tightens up the whole sound. awsome amp for the brutals

so go with the 6505 if you're not to fussed about the clean channel. but go for the + if you are. but i get an ok clean out of my 6505 just keep the gain low and turn the volume up.

espdood

what cab will you be running it through?

i've found with 6505's when running them through different cabs makes a really big difference. i run mine through a marshall 1960av and my other guitarist in my band runs his through a 5150 cab (baring in mind he uses a 5150II)

but my amp has a lot more bottom end than his but his sounds a bit more focused through the sheffield speakers.

also bare in mine if you run an overdrive infront of the amp on the lead channel it tightens up the whole sound. awsome amp for the brutals

so go with the 6505 if you're not to fussed about the clean channel. but go for the + if you are. but i get an ok clean out of my 6505 just keep the gain low and turn the volume up.

Also, when I buy the 6505, I think I'll go with a diff. cab this time. I'm thinking either matched 6505 cab or the Marshall 1960B loaded with those GT12-75's. What do you think?

espdood

I should have mentioned that I owned a used 5150 II for a year and couldnt get that nice metal tone out of it due to wrong cab? Was running it under Mesa Dual Rectifier 2x12 cab loaded with the V30's. I tried everything and it had that fizzy sound and when the gain is set anywhere past 6. Anywhere below it gave it a ACDC-ish sound..so the gain wasn't enough there..must be something wrong with the amp. The previous owner recently put in new JJ tubes a few months ago as I asked him about it, so the tubes should be good. The one at guitar center was just a regular 6505 I think and it sounded much much better than mine. I sold my 5150 II after a year and was disappointed with it. Tried every setting imaginable. Mine could be just a lemon, but I'll give the 6505 a try again. The cleans don't bother me that much, so it's not as important as I can dial it in to get a nice sound.

H3LL5P4WN

Isn't Robb's 5150 modified, if not Phil's also? Judging by the artist profiles one Peavey's site, I take it due to a lack of a cabinet being listed on Robb's page, that he uses Marshall cabs?

Gravy Tank

^ Im pretty sure both there amps are modded, if not both, then Rob's is. I saw in Guitar World that Phil uses Marshall cabs. Not sure about Rob, but I thik it would be a safe bet to say he uses Marshall cabs.

I dig my 5150, but with the cab I'm using, I get really harsh tones with pretty much any settings. The highs are real gritty and rough sounding. Would a cab with V30s take care of that, or is it just un-avoidable? The guy I bought it from said that it might need new tubes soon too. Just today it started to make some weird screeching noises whenever I would turn my Decimator off. Could it be those too?

the_emptier

i think you guys are going way to specific in each of these amps. the 6505+ is fucking amazing and is way better then the 6505. not just tonally (clean channel owns it, as was said before) but there is way more specific with each channel, with each having its own eq settings while the 6505 only has eq that controls all the channels. idk but ebay has good prices on them and im definetly getting one very soon. couple that with a vader 2 x 12 cab im getting and WOW

espdood

i think you guys are going way to specific in each of these amps. the 6505+ is fucking amazing and is way better then the 6505. not just tonally (clean channel owns it, as was said before) but there is way more specific with each channel, with each having its own eq settings while the 6505 only has eq that controls all the channels. idk but ebay has good prices on them and im definetly getting one very soon. couple that with a vader 2 x 12 cab im getting and WOW

I don't care much about the clean channel and I do prefer the EQ settings of the 6505 more than the plus. Explain why the plus is better tonally than the 6505. I'm getting the complete opposite here with the lead channel being better on the 6505 than the plus.

Post to Thread