tube recommendations

Updated
tube recommendations
need some recommendations for ye ole XXX that needs retubing.. at least i think it's the tubes.. it plays great for about 5-10 minutes then the output drops for a few minutes then goes back up to the normal level.. does this sound like the tubes or is this major surgery? the tech i brought it to said he couldn't find anything wrong with it..
ZephMan

Get Sovtek power tubes and electro harmonix preamp tubes. YOUR AMP WILLL BURNNNNNN!

deftoneskidd

which sovteks, 6L6GB or the 6L6WXT+? what kind of tone can i expect with the sovtek/eh combo?

Robotsatemygrandma

which sovteks, 6L6GB or the 6L6WXT+? what kind of tone can i expect with the sovtek/eh combo?

Muddy dark tone.

ZephMan

which sovteks, 6L6GB or the 6L6WXT+

6L6WXT+

what kind of tone can i expect with the sovtek/eh combo?

Dimebag tone, searing, crushing, burning goodness.

deftoneskidd

sounds interesting..

Stephy

why do you people like tubes?

deftoneskidd

right now i don't because they're dying and it's going to cost me money i don't want to spend to replace them and bias the amp....

deftoneskidd

hmm... JJ 6L6GC's are starting to sound good...

ZephMan

Absoluty stay away from Sovteks.

:rolleyes:

Muddy dark tone.

Dark yes, but not muddy. |I

ZephMan

Opps, I meant Tung Sol 12AX7's not EH.

Stephy

my suggestion is go tubeless :)

avi8r2005

Sounds like your power tubes are worn out. Usually they give you some tell-tale signs when they are going bad. Fairly simple fix, tubes are relatively inexpensive and you can order them from American Musical or Musicians friend. You may have to take them in to get biased. Although they are a bit more maintenance, I think tube amps sound better than a solid state. Tubes are just like anything else mechanical, they are going to wear out. Although if you don't abuse your amp, you should be able to get a long life out of them. You'll find the power tubes are going to wear out before preamp tubes. No big deal though. Tube amps are actually fairly simple, there's not a lot to them, so don't be intimidated by them. I believe the XXX can use both 6L6 and El34 type tubes. Although if you traded it off for a Mesa, you'd get a fixed bias without having to worry about getting tubes biased and can easily switch between EL's and 6L6 without much more than the flip of the switch.

Sixstringhotshot

Go with EL34's, man. The amp comes alive.

deftoneskidd

Go with EL34's, man. The amp comes alive.

I've read several places about how great this particular amp sounds with el34's.. But also about how they can possibly damage it due to a crappy screen grid resistor, unless it's been upgraded or was in the 1st run of them (which i believe mine was) that had a solid one to begin with..

From the way people talk, it seems the EL34's are the way to go..

load more replies (1 of 1)
ZephMan

Don't roll your eyes at me

You forgot to add"young man" in there.

alpine_56

Svetlana 6l6 Winged "C" for power and Sovtek lps in V1, V2 are good tubes I've found.

deftoneskidd

Any thoughts on this: JJ KT77's, three high gain ECC83S's and one high gain balanced ECC83S for the phase inverter in V4

deftoneskidd

someone make my mind up for me :x

kt77's or e34l's.. i like my sound to remind people of chainsaws. but i love the clean tones i get from the amp with the stock tubes.. can't mess with the pristine cleans...

i guess about 3/4 american high gain and 1/4 british is what i'm looking for....

Post to Thread