fernandes sustainer

Updated
loro rnr
Could I install a Fernandes sustainer in my M-1000 without swapping out the neck pickup (it has the EMG)? I have tried one with a jem like Steve Vai's one and it was great... Thank you!:)
chevy Z 302

no afaik, dont see how that would work.

Bridge The Void

The sustainer replaces the neck pickup, as in fully replaces it. There is a sustainer (I don't know if its fernandes or sustainiac) which acts as a neck pickup as well, but I don't think its a particularly good one. You can get a mounting plate with the Sustainiac which is humbucker size, and on that you can put the sustainiac and a singe-coil-size humbucker next to each other.

loro rnr

Thank you chevy and hades. Well, wich single pickup could I use in replacement of the emg 81 at neck position? I want something that don't change much the sound.

Thank you!

load more replies (1 of 1)
esp_gaijin

the pickup built into the sustainers with pickups is passive, so you don't want that,
but as someone said they make a sustainer that only takes up half the space of humbucker, leaving a single-coil slot open for what you want,
so i'd get an EMG single coil pickup in your case,

it won't be exactly the same sound you have now, but it would be the closest and easiet overall to get installed.

none of this sounds easy to install imo, expect either a difficult project on your hands, or to pay a good chunk to a tech to do it for you.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

I'd like to get one & stick an Air Norton S in the neck position next to it.

OutlawTorn

i dont think its worth 300 bucks

SDMFPantera

Yeah lots of money and mods, but just imagine that sound of the note automatically shifting to the harmonic!(one of the models does that), oh god id melt, i love that sound! Yeah ive always wonered how good the neck pickup is since its stock and all

Bridge The Void

You could just get an ebow...

loro rnr

Well, money is not a problem, a friend could make me all the mods, and maybe free... :p so now I just need to find the single pickup sustainer and a single pickup with a good sound for me... Thanks to all you people! I'll show you how it sounds if I can get all that things... ;)

Sixstringhotshot

You could just get an ebow...

Bah! The sustainer is everything the ebow does, but better, and more. The only downside is you lose your neck pickup, but as stated you can put a single sized humbucker (hotrails, Norton S, whatever) next to it.

The wiring for that is absurdly complicated though. I would consider myself pretty handy with building/repairing electronics, but sustainer wirings that differ from the supplied schematics are out of my league. I would highly recommend hiring a professional who is Fernandes certified, or send it to Sustainiac if you opt for their version.

JoeBender

Are you guys sure two single coils will fit together under one humbucker sized pickup ring? All of the single coil pickups I have dealt with have some extra part sticking out to the sides, that you don't see because it's always under the pickguard or mounting plate. I imagine that would prevent you from having two of them side by side so that they'd look like a humbucker.

Sixstringhotshot

The sustainer doesn't have that triangular piece, so you can squeeze one behind it no problem. Kerry King and Steve Vai did it. They also have world-class techs to make it work, though.

Bridge The Void

^^ I think that triangular piece of plastic is why they reccommend single-size humbuckers...I assume they don't have this plastic triangle?

Sixstringhotshot

Some of them do. EMGs don't, the sustainers don't (obviously), the new duncans don't, the old duncans do.

Post to Thread