Looking for a high gain amp.

Updated
espdood
I'm looking for an amp that would sound great with my Duncan active blackouts. Has the in your face distortion with plenty of crunch as well as not sounding thin, sounds stereo like a BBE built in, tight bass, decent mids for riffing and high's for soloing. I tend to favor the scooped sound..but the mids still have to be there. I like the modern metal sound and not so much of the old school sounding stuff. I don't care much for cleans as this will be used as a metal amp. I also don't use much effects as I want to be able to plug my guitar straight into the amp to get the best tone. Here are the amps that I may look into. Randall V2 with matching cab Marshall Kerry King sig with Marshall 1960B cab Krank Revolution with matching cab Engl Fireball with either matching cab or Marshall 1960B cab VHT Deliverance with matching cab Mesa Dual Rectifier with matching cab. I did own a Peavey 5150 II..but I'm looking for a different sound than that. Soldano's and Framus's are a bit out of my price range..I'd like to keep the amp head under 2 grand. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
espdood

Sound I want is the gain and crunch is as high as Dimebag Darrel's tone, yet sounds more thick and not too overly trebly. I also would want a hifi-stereo like tone..BBE seems to come to mind. Some nice tight bass and a modern metal-ish tone. I'm leaning towards a V2 at the moment. Arch Enemy seems to come to mind with as well as Dino Cazares's current tone.

hermz

Sound I want is the gain and crunch is as high as Dimebag Darrel's tone, yet sounds more thick and not too overly trebly. I also would want a hifi-stereo like tone..BBE seems to come to mind. Some nice tight bass and a modern metal-ish tone. I'm leaning towards a V2 at the moment. Arch Enemy seems to come to mind with as well as Dino Cazares's current tone.

Arch Enemy on what album?

load more replies (1 of 1)
HAY YAH

6505 Imo

jsp

You can't judge an amp solely based on clips, you gotta try it yourself. The Fireball is NOT a thin sounding amp.

espdood

You can't judge an amp solely based on clips, you gotta try it yourself. The Fireball is NOT a thin sounding amp.

That's true, but there's no dealers near me that have that amp to try out, and I could only rely on clips and reviews from people and members in different forums. I know it sucks, but its all I got at the moment.

TaoZen

I second the Carvin V-3.

slayerfan213

Don't rule out the Krankenstein. I love mine.

espdood

I might as well call it a day and get a Peavey Valveking and a Marshall 1960 cab. If not enough gain, I'll get an OD pedal.

BrazilianBootyLover

It has enough gain.

espdood

I have it narrowed down to an Engl Blackmore with a Marshall 1960 Cab or should I go with their Engl cab with v60 speakers?

BrazilianBootyLover

How is it sounding through the Mesa vvs. other cabs?

It sounds fucking HUGE thru the mesa. I couldn't tell ya how it sounds thru other cabs though. I should try it with my avatar.

espdood

It sounds fucking HUGE thru the mesa. I couldn't tell ya how it sounds thru other cabs though. I should try it with my avatar.

Why did you choose the Blackmore over the other Engl models? Also, I hope this sounds much different than the Peavey 5150 II that I had. The MESA cab is equipped with the Celestion V30's..right?

BrazilianBootyLover

Why did you choose the Blackmore over the other Engl models?

Cause its doesn't have a billion and one control knobs and its brootal!!! Also, its amazingly simple to dial in a amazing tone. You could literally close your eyes, turn all the knobs and play and it will sound amazing. I have yet to find a bad tone.

Also, I hope this sounds much different than the Peavey 5150 II

It will destroy the 5150 II. I had a 6505 and hated it. the Blackmore owns it!! Trust me, it will sound clear now nosy like the 5150's. IMO its the most over rated amp out.

The MESA cab is equipped with the Celestion V30's..right?

yup

espdood

Cause its doesn't have a billion and one control knobs and its brootal!!! Also, its amazingly simple to dial in a amazing tone. You could literally close your eyes, turn all the knobs and play and it will sound amazing. I have yet to find a bad tone.

It will destroy the 5150 II. I had a 6505 and hated it. the Blackmore owns it!! Trust me, it will sound clear now nosy like the 5150's. IMO its the most over rated amp out.

yup

Thanks man! You rock!!! I could get a good deal on a marshall 1960 cab and would you recommend it paired with this Blackmore? I was thinking of getting the Fireball, but I believe the Blackmore is thicker and somehow more brutal.

BrazilianBootyLover

I couldn't tell you about the marshall but I heard they are very good aswell.

espdood

LOL anyways..what I have on my mind is the Engl Blackmore with a Marshall 1960 cab. I heard that Engl's sound best with Celestion V30's, but the Marshall is equipped with the G12's

Post to Thread