Dimarzio tone zone

Updated
Hus
Hy, i know there is an ibanez forum, but i've been a long time lurker here, so i like this board more. The question is: i bought an ibanez rg550 just the other day and i love it, but there is a shitty no name pickup in the bridge postition on it. So i was thinking of getting a dimarzio super distortion pickup, but there are no left in stores in my town(it's rather small). But there are a few dimarzio tone zones 'round. I play mostly thrash, heavy metal, rock, and lately i'm playing lots of satch, vai, etc. I'd like to know if the tone zone will suit my needs, or should i say is it hot enough? Thanks
The Sloth

I have tried one briefly in a top of the line Ibanez a few years ago. From memory it had a very high gain, thick sound. I'd say if you like the SD Distortion or Invader you would probably like the Tone zone.

ZephMan

Its a realllly hot pickup. It sounds great, but its preety bassey.

Pushead

I have one. It sounds similar to a Duncan JB. I use it for pretty heavy stuff, but it's not everyone's thing.

jsp

It sounds similar to a Duncan JB.

KH Guitar Freak is gonna be pissed. 8o:lol

load more replies (1 of 1)
Pushead

In my experience, it does. The JB is a bit clearer, the Tone Zone has a bit of that "compression" everyone talks about with DiMarzio pickups (which is difficult to explain until you hear it for yourself).

Tone Zone/Air Norton clip
JB/59 clip

jsp

I wasn't doubting you, I was just making a crack at KH. ;)

Those clips sound awesome! What amp are you using?

Pushead

Those clips sound awesome! What amp are you using?

Thanks!

It's a TriAxis>G-major>2:90, miked with a SM57.

ZephMan

^+1billion one of the best dimarzio pups IMHO.

Metalmilitia306

from what ive heard the tone zone is like the PAF pro..but on steroids

espdood

from what ive heard the tone zone is like the PAF pro..but on steroids

I think the Evolution is more like the PAF PRO on steriods.

nightofthelivingshred

dont put a tz in a rg550. i just made that mistake. gona switch to super3 or x2n

TaoZen

I had an Ibanez 3120 with maple top and mahogany body, and the TZ sounded horrible in it. Muddy with no definition. I swapped it with a Lawrence L-500. Much nicer!

Ravens Creed

I put an Evo in my RG550 (1991 DY). A Kent Armstrong custom hotrail in the middle and a Humbucker from Hell in the neck.

The other two pups sounD o.k but the Evolution sounds great. Its nowhere near as hot as an EMG 81 but thats not always a bad thing. The midrange and high mids are amazing and you hardly even need to switch for leads. Everything holds up perfectly.

So I'd suggest a DiMarzio Evolution. Probably two, come to think of it as it would sound nice in the neck too. It works in Jems and you dont have to worry about that tone killing stupid monkey grip either. :)

Bridge The Void

you dont have to worry about that tone killing stupid monkey grip either. :)

Come on now...the amount of wood taken out really isn't enough to be classified as "tone destroying". My Jem has always had amazing tone.

Post to Thread