How to remove adhesive backed shim from neck

Updated
ARMANDO D.

Hello! This question is for those in the “know”. 

At some point long ago a guitar “tech” at a guitar store did a setup on my ESP and used a product called 3M Stikit which is adhesive backed sandpaper as a shim which he applied to the back of neck where the four screw holes are. This has always caused the Floyd bridge and pick-up heights to be adjusted on the high side. 

I would like to remove this adhesive backed sandpaper now, and if still needed I can install a StewMac shim which I have a set on hand. 

The back of that neck area is “satin” finished. I’d like to know if it is safe to use a citrus based adhesive remover such as “Goo Gone” to remove this shim and not harm the satin finish. 

Anyone here have practical knowledge of either this solvent and wood finishes? Thanks in advance!

Chris G.

You should try naphtha (lighter fluid, Coleman camping fuel), it should not harm the finish. As always try in a inconspicuous spot first, like the neck pocket..

Pushead

I'd skip a solvent and just use the edge of a razor blade to pull the paper off. If there is residue, then try the naphtha to clean the remaining residue.

ARMANDO D.

Thanks for all the posts! I made a trip to my local Ace hardware and picked up a plastic razor scraper they sell and a small can of Naphtha. The plastic razor did an amazing job! I got the Stikit shim off intact. There was some built up residue and the Naphtha took that off with no signs of any wear. Thanks again!

Pushead

Nice job, Armando!

will g.

thanks

Post to Thread