STRING GAUGE FOR DROP B

Updated
carl g.

Hi i am new to guitars ,i use a 6 string  EC -1000  i want to get into drop tuning, (death metal )which string gauge would you recommend  for drop B AND DROP d ?  thanks y/s carl

Pushead

Hi Carl, when you say "dropped B" do you mean C# standard tuning with the lowest string tuned to B (B F# B E G# c#) , or do you mean E standard tuning with the lowest string tuned to B (B A D G B e)?

For me, I go up a string gauge for every full step I tune down. So in my case, I play .010 - .052 in E standard tuning. I'll also use that gauge for Eb standard and for dropped D. In D standard tuning (D G C F A d) I use .011 - .054, which I also use for C# standard and dropped C tunings. In C standard (which is what my band plays in) I use .012 - .056, which is probably what I'd try for B standard tuning (only 1/2 step down from C).  If I were looking to play in dropped B, I'd probably start with that 11 set, and see. If the low string felt a bit loose to me, I'd probably look for a .056 for the low string.

Do you know what gauge strings are on your guitar now? Do you have friends in the area that have guitars set up in those tunings that you might try to see how they feel to you?

Post to Thread