Curious about Set-Through Construction

Updated
Eric B.

Greetings! Just pre-ordered a 2021 EC-1000T CTM, and I have a couple questions about set-through construction (curiosities really)

I have a basic understanding of what it is after reading the very informative thread:

https://www.espguitars.com/forums/1963226/posts/2146412-neck-thru-vs-set-thru-neck

However, two things I don't quite understand are,

Where's the "heel" of the neck joint?

And, why would the set-through construction necessitate the binding gap on the back of the guitar?

metalhobo

1. when you ask 'Where's the "heel" of the neck joint?', what exactly are you asking? are you asking how far the neck wood extends into the body?

2. I don't think anything about set-thru construction (per se) necessitates the lack of binding there, I think that's just due the shaping of the of the heel-area. the circumstances would be no different if the joint where neck-thru or set-neck if the wood assembly were then shaped in the same way.

Eric B.

Thanks. Maybe it's a silly question, and I get there's no actual heel. But the way the neck meets the side of the body... I'm just curious how the neck is cut there. Is it just like a  flap that comes down to meet the side of the body? Like a heel with no block?

Post to Thread