anyone ... viper 10?

Updated
Xytras S.

Hi

I have arthrosis in my left hand... affects more my thumb.

Need low action, low string gauge, extra sized frets... in order to make the playing act softer, I have a low budget and I am lerning... or try to....

Tried today a viper 10.... with a .10 strings, seems soft.

just a very high action ...

I need help to know, if anyone achieved a good low action with this entry level guitar?

I will need to dowsize to .9 or even .8.

If someone want to advise any other 24,75 scale that fits.

Thank you very much

Protect yourselves

P.S. - Sorry for my poor english... I am from portugal, English is not my language.

Pushead

Having a professional tech or luthier set up the guitar should help make the guitar play better for you. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube about setting up a guitar, but if you're not comfortable doing that type of work, spending the money with a professional is worth it, in my opinion.

Xytras S.

Hi

thank you very much

But, do you think  viper 10 can do the job?

thank you

Pushead

It can do the job. The "10" series guitars are among the least expensive models LTD makes.So, if you're an experienced player and you can save a bit more, the move to a 200 series guitar is probably worth it. I think you'll notice the step up in quality. I get money isn't always easy to come by, but in these price ranges, every step up makes a big difference.

If spending a bit more isn't possible, the Viper 10, with a good setup, should be a good guitar for your needs.

Xytras S.

Thank you very much

yup, you know... € do not come from trees, that is true.

For now, this viper is in my top budget level.

Allready waiting for it....

In my music center, they said they will do a setup and lower the action as much as possible... and I asked for .9 strings, hope it come so light as possible at this  price level.

EC 256 is more than twice, costing 440€...

when and if I jump higher (if my hand let me really play) I will have LTD IRON CROSS SW, one of the most beautiful guitars ever made ... for me.

Again... thank you very much

and again... Sorry for my poor english

Pushead

Glad I could help. No need to apologize for your English skills, I understood you well.

Sarah B.

Make sure that you geta PRO from the shop to set up your axe and balence it correctly for you.

Xytras S.

Hi

Hope everybody going welll, with health.

So my viper 10 is going allright, my hand, have her days... sometimes well, sometimes just to cut her off....

if you can, need your help with action.

My action is at 2mm (5/65") low e and 2.1 (0.0827") hi e.

My bridge it is all way down....

So I can not low my action more than this.

Neck almost flat....

Know it is a cheap guitar but.... .... ....

any solution?

By the way, if I deicide to replace brige... there are any bribge you can say it fits?

thank you very much

Pushead

Hi Xytras, I'm glad you're able to play again! It sounds like you would benefit from a neck shim.

Here's a good article on how to make your own: https://www.premierguitar.com/diy/guitar-shop-101/guitar-neck-shim

I know you're in Portugal, but you may be able to buy something like this: https://www.stewmac.com/tonewoods/shop-tonewood-by-instrument/electric-guitar-bodies-and-necks-and-wood/electric-guitar-necks/stewmac-neck-shims-for-guitar/

Pushead
Xytras S.

Hi

thank you for your answers.

the bridge you suggest has a 12” radius, viper has 13.75. Fact is, I can not find 13.75 bridges.

about shim…. I was looking what you sent… and looking for more….
It is an easy thing to do…. But, remain one question.

some just put a fine blabe of wood no tampered. Some have an angle.

have to fill all the cavity … but, wich is better?

thank you very much.

Pushead

The bridge on your Viper is 12". That's always been an odd thing that builders have done, a larger radius on the board than exists for the bridge.

People say that a full contact shim is best, but if you're using a thin piece of veneer or plastic (or metal), you can get away with just having a small piece at the end of the neck and having a slight air gap in the neck cavity. That's how I end up doing most of my shims, when they're needed.

Xytras S.

Hi

thank you for your reply

I wil go for a full contact, have 1mm piece already.

My doubt remais here ... should I do with a wedge (changing the angle) or a flat one (maintaining the angle)

About the bridges... is like that in all models or just cheap guitars?

Thank you very much

Pushead

It's not the best quality bridge on your guitar, but even expensive guitars will occasionally need a shim.

I would use an angled shim, but a flat shim will work.

Xytras S.

Hi

thank’s

Sorry, It was about bridges having a diferent radius from fretboard.

That happens in expensive guitars to?!?

Pushead

Yes

Xytras S.

Thank you very much for your help... and patience

I will update the reults here after the job done.

Thank you

Post to Thread