EMG Output Problems - Need Advice

Updated
EMG Output Problems - Need Advice

Hi guys, long story short, I have a guitar that was giving me problems so I bought the EMG 57/66 set hoping that, as a guy with zero soldering experience, I would be able to replace all of the electronics with the Quick Connect to get the guitar working again.  Set came in and I replaced everything, but the pickups were giving very low output.  I contacted EMG support and they had me send everything to them.  They wired up the pickups in their shop confirmed everything was functioning correctly and sent it back to me pretty much completely wired.  I dropped everything in and had the same problem I did before, low output.  In a moment of desperation I took the guitar to Guitar Center and had them wire it up without the quick connect system.  It worked for a while and now I am getting the same low output thing as before.  I tried recording all of my guitars into my interface and they were hitting between -4 and -6 dB, but this guitar shows up as a flat line and hits about -15 dB with the same levels on my interface.  I figure the guitar is cursed at this point.  I figured I'd go looking for some advice before I gut the electronics and by all new pots, toggle, and jack and try to teach myself how to solder.  It kills me having a guitar I haven't really been able to play for so long.  It's been a $700 dust collector for quite a while.

Pushead

Is the sound cutting out, or is it constantly low? Try doing a quick 10-20 back-and-forth switches of your pickups. I find the most common problem area on my EMG guitars is at the switch, where a bit of corrosion builds up between the connecting plates.

2se7en

Nope. Constantly low. The toggle switch is a Switchcraft that’s only a year or two old. 

Pushead

Are you using the EMG supplied jack?

2se7en

It must be because I have the original in a baggie with all of the original pots. 

Pushead

That's pretty strange. I'd want to get my hands on the guitar to help diagnose it further.

Does it make good contact with the jack? Your cable doesn't pull out easily, does it?

Post to Thread