Active trade to passive pickups

Updated
Greenroom Studio

? Guitar Center is change out my pickups to Screaming Demon SH-12 the tech lined the inside of the area were the pots go with copper lineing for grounding the whole inside on my EC 331FR ? Did he need to do that? My other EPS guitars don't have this in side! He also change out the pots? To larger pots said the little pots were for active pick ups? Thanks

Pushead

It doesn't need to have the copper lining but it helps shield the pickup and cut down on buzzing.  I'm not sure if the pickup cavities are painted with shielded paint on the LTD models.

The pots need replaced when switching from active pickups (like EMGs) to passive pickups like the SD.  The physical size isn't the issue, it's the amount of resistance the potentiometer can deliver.  The pots he used were likely 500 kohm, and the pots for the EMGs were 10 kohm.

Greenroom Studio

Thanks! GC had a bad pot in there and had to replace it! No buzz no radio noise! But the SH-12 in both neck and bridge pickup you can get great growl and yet very clean harmonics which can be rolled up or down for soloing!

Post to Thread