How to spot fake ESP

Updated
How to spot fake ESP

Hey guys,

Do you have any knowledge regarding fake guitars and how to spot them?

Maybe guitar companies should start a database where we could register original guitars and verify their authenticity. I understand that, I his is extra cost but we have to somehow protect ourselves from not honest seller, specially when we buy used instruments.

Pushead

The distressed Eclipse above is legit. The MII above seems fine, but I'd want slightly better photos of the rest of the guitar.

ANTON I.

unfortunately, this m-ii was sold for $570 in my country (Russia). I couldn't find any of these with such spacings in serial.

Pushead

I have spaces in a few of mine, but nothing quite like that. I probably would have taken the chance if it was a guitar I was interested in. it looks pretty good, I just don't know why people can't take simple, straight-on photos.

Benn  P.

Hi, I'm new to this forum I just signed up after I left my love of house music and went over to becoming a non stop Metallica fan! I've been looking on Ebay for a relatively cheap guitar and found this, pictures below. 

Can anyone tell me if this is genuine please? also I'm in the UK, any good string brand I should consider? as I can see it's missing a few. 

Thanks. 

Pushead

I wouldn't buy it based on the photo quality. It's 2020 and everyone has a camera on them at all times, but this guy couldn't be bothered to put a clear photo up.

There's something about the guitar that makes me feel uneasy. Perhaps it's just the added pickup selector poker-chip. The logos seem to be correct (but it's hard to get a good look as they took all the photos while running through the room). The cutaways on the back also seem a bit off. It's probably fine, but I'd ask for better photos, first.

Benn  P.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have no knowledge on guitars or the above items you're referring to. But I've asked the seller for clearer images if you wouldnt mind taking another look if / when I get them. Thank you. 

Benn  P.

Hi, please see images with more clarity, hope this helps. 

Benn  P.

Also, from better images, I can see that it does have all the strings, so perhaps better looked after than I first imagined. 

Pushead

Yeah, these are a lot better. Guitar is legit, a 2012 model.

Benn  P.

Appreciate your help, thank you. 

Post to Thread