How to spot fake ESP

Updated
How to spot fake ESP

Hey guys,

Do you have any knowledge regarding fake guitars and how to spot them?

Maybe guitar companies should start a database where we could register original guitars and verify their authenticity. I understand that, I his is extra cost but we have to somehow protect ourselves from not honest seller, specially when we buy used instruments.

jt76

most fakes have incorrect control plates, logo that are not in the correct place and serial numbers in the wrong place. Many times the shape is not exactly correct or the wrong hardware or pickups were used. The best way to spot a fake is to know what the real one looks like. You can also post pictures of the guitar here, there are usually a few here that can confirm authenticity. If the seller will not provide pictures of the actual instrument steer clear. Also for new guitars there are a few shady sites that use stock photos and or other sellers photo to sell fakes. The guitars in the pictures are correct but the guitar you recieve will not be. Basically if the deal is to good to be true it probably is. There is also a list of authorized dealers on the ESP web page, click the dealers tab, if you buy from these site you should have no problem.

Eric B.

I bought this used from an Amazon seller. Can you tell me if it looks real?

Dale T.

Don't buy ESP's from China on Ebay.

Jonas P.

Hey! I have this Horizon Custom that I bought used in 2005-06 in Sweden, cant remember exactly. I immediatly brought it to a music store to check the value to know i didnt get ripped of. Bought it for 12.000kr (swedish kronor) and the guy in the store told me I should be able to sell it for 24.000 Ish. Being young and dumb I thought OK! And never bothered with any real authentication. 

Now I have not used it at all for some years because genre/style changes and would like to sell and I need to know if it's real and how much it might be worth. 

Think you can help?

The seller told me it was one of a kind made custom fron some other guy, I bought it third-hand. Was told the make year is around 1997.

Pushead

The guitar looks fine, but I'm not sure why there isn't a serial number on the back of the headstock?  Is the finish different there, or is it just weird light reflections?

Jonas P.

No, there´s no serial but yeah, i remember the guy saying that the neck had a special finish for "xtra glide". Probably added by a previous owner and that might be why there's no serial. Maybe? If anyone knows anymore and what it might be worth, please chime in!

OneMileLost
Jonas P. wrote:

No, there´s no serial but yeah, i remember the guy saying that the neck had a special finish for "xtra glide". Probably added by a previous owner and that might be why there's no serial. Maybe? If anyone knows anymore and what it might be worth, please chime in!

Looking on Ebay, it looks like they go for around $1000 - $1500 usd (9.000 -13.000 SEK). I know that isn't an exact number, but it gives you an idea. I don't see 24.000 happening...unless there is some story involving James Hetfield's "DNA" being used to lubricate the tuners.

Madhat
OneMileLost wrote:

Looking on Ebay, it looks like they go for around $1000 - $1500 usd (9.000 -13.000 SEK). I know that isn't an exact number, but it gives you an idea. I don't see 24.000 happening...unless there is some story involving James Hetfield's "DNA" being used to lubricate the tuners.

Lol.. made me laugh  

Jordan B.

I know this is an old thread I just need quick help on the authenticity of this guitar 

Jordan B.

Pushead

Sorry man, they're getting better with the details, but this one is still a far way from correct. It's a fake.

Gabriel B.

Gabriel B.

Can any of you say the above snakebyte is a fake?

Pushead

Any better photos of the full front and the back of the headstock?

Pushead

Looks good to me.

Gitarguy

Does this look like a legit 1988 Kamikaze IV?

Richard B.

Wow, very cool, congrats on the find

Pushead

Except for the EMG, it all looks good to me. No idea on the year.

YE 京帥 王

https://www.espguitars.com/products/21408-kamikaze-4

I feel sorry for you.

It’s shouldn’t be EMG, because there’s no battery cavity on the back!

And the ESP logo is on the wrong placement!

Pushead

An amendment to the Kami-4 above. The guitar looks a legit ESP. What the scuttlebutt on the internet says is that it's a refinish of a different Lynch sig.

I can't say that I'm well-versed on the Lynch sigs enough to confirm or deny.

rodrigomolina

Hi, I just bought this Viper and now I'm not so sure about it's authenticity. The main reason for my suspicion is the bolted neck (all other ESP vipers I've seen on google images are neck-through or set-net). The serial number is 24973. Can someone help me with this issue, please? If it's a fake I think I still have time to go to the store and complain about it. Thank you.

Post to Thread