Does the hight of the mounting rings matter?

Updated
Does the hight of the mounting rings matter?
And why are they somtimes slanted?
NeedsMoreBlueBell

Not sure if height matters.

And they're probably slanted for archtop bodies.

Sixstringhotshot

Arched rings are for arched tops. The height may not matter, it depends on your guitar. Taller rings let you set the pickups higher, action permitting. Low rings are good for strats and other guitars with minimal distance between the body and strings. Slant rings work well on Les Pauls and others like it because the bridges are so tall and the neck angle is fairly steep.

Explorer45

I'm replace a pair of old worn ones but I can't find a pair that has the exact same hight. I'm guessing it's no big deal then and just go for the closest ones I can find?

NeedsMoreBlueBell

What guitar are we talking about?

Explorer45

An Explorer.

Pushead

Height doesn't matter much. For your Explorer order their "tall" ring for the bridge and a "short" ring for the neck. Even better if they're angled (tallest side goes toward the bridge). A few mm of height difference between the original and the new won't matter.

Explorer45

The original ones where 11-9mm and 6-4mm. I ordered a 12-11mm and a 5mm replacement (closest I could find nere here).
Helpful as always Pushead. :)

Tondog

You'll be fine either way with what you find height wise. You can adjust the pickups accordingly.

JSHRED

This is good info. The bridge bucker ring on my M-II custom is angled like it's a Les Paul, even though the strings are almost perfectly parallel to the body top. So one coil is a little closer to the strings than the other. I'd been considering trying to find a flat ring with exactly the same screw hole layout, but it doesn't sound like it's that much of a big deal.

Explorer45

This is good info. The bridge bucker ring on my M-II custom is angled like it's a Les Paul, even though the strings are almost perfectly parallel to the body top. So one coil is a little closer to the strings than the other. I'd been considering trying to find a flat ring with exactly the same screw hole layout, but it doesn't sound like it's that much of a big deal.

Shouldn't be too hard to find.

I'm not sure I like the hight difference (aesthetically) of the front and rear rings when actually on the guitar.. Might go for a shorter bridge ring.

NeedsMoreBlueBell

Well, if it helps, I just installed some short pickup rings on my LTD Eclipse, which usually has pretty tall ones, and I don't have any problems right now.

And it's the flat-top version, not the archtop version. :P

xenophobe

As long as the pickup rings clear the strings, you're good to go.

Dwayne M.

PICKUP ADJUSTMENT
All magnetic pickups used in ESP guitars are adjustable. Raising or lowering a pickup will increase or
decrease the amount of output from your guitar for that pickup. Pickup heights should be adjusted so that
both pickups are at about the same volume level compared to each other (this is how we adjust the pickups
from the factory). However, you may want to change the height of the pickups in order to achieve a different
output level for each pickup. Since the pickups are magnetic it is important not to adjust them too close to
the strings. If a pickup is too close to the strings, it will affect the vibration of the strings and could result
in oscillating or wavering notes, extra fret buzzing, and distortion. If you notice these problems, lower the
pickup until the notes ring true. Use a small screwdriver to adjust the pickup height (there will usually be 2
height adjustment screws for each pickup - one on the bass side and the other on the treble side).
Note: Some instruments have pickups with adjustable pole pieces that allow you to adjust the individual
output levels of each string.
The following are maximum bridge pickup heights as set at the ESP factory. Pickup height is measured
from the top of the pickup to the bottom of the string while holding down the strings to the fretboard
at the last fret. Keep in mind that pickup heights are not meant to be at an exact level or specification
for correct operation of your instrument. Each player can set their own pickup heights according to their
desired output levels.

Maximum Bridge Pickup Heights
------Bass Side--------Treble Side
Guitars 2.5 mm (3/32”) 1.5 mm (1/16”)
Bass 3.5 mm (9/64”) 2.5 mm (3/32”)
Note: Active pickups have less magnetic pull and may be adjusted closer to the strings than passive pickups.

I looked for replacements for my M-1000 for a while and couldn't find plastic ones that were not tapered. Finally came across these metal ones and they are perfect and look real good too.
STEWMAC Metal Pickup Rings

Additionally you shouldn't use tapered rings on a flat body because then your pickups will be angled and it messes up the whole magnetic polarity and can cause phasing.

Pushead

Additionally you shouldn't use tapered rings on a flat body because then your pickups will be angled and it messes up the whole magnetic polarity and can cause phasing.

What? 0]

You use angled rings in cases where there is a angle between the body and the neck. Most tune-o-matic guitars have neck angles, and most all ESPs have them. It allows the guitar to hold even string height across the entire neck without having the fretboard rise 1/2" off the body of the guitar.

Magnetic polarity and phasing? :rolleyes: :lol

load more replies (1 of 1)
jennie k.

I think yes, the height of mounting rings matters in guitar setups. It affects the guitar's action (string height), intonation, and overall playability ::">>

timothy b.

Ok so I hope somebody sees this... I have a schecter blackjack solo II diamond series... it has tapered/slanted pickup rings long story short am I able to use flat rings on an arch top LP style guitar?? Do I just adjust the bridge and saddle accordingly???

Pushead

Tim, you may be able to use flat rings. But if the current rings have a curved bottom, you'll either want to buy new rings with curved bottoms, or you'll have to sand the curve into the bottom of any rings you buy.

timothy b.

Thank you .. I stopped by my local guitar center to ask the other day also cause it's been bugging me so much I found a pair of thin flat rings with skulls that look absolutely sick especially if I get the matching pick guard... as for the curve I don't think it has one like most arch tops... it's a very subtle curve and the pickup rings look flat on the bottom 

Post to Thread