DIY'ers Get In Here!!! ...

Updated
DIY'ers Get In Here!!!  ...
I'm going to make my FRS non floating and I want to do it without buying a tremolno. Has anyone else done this? I was thinking of using a piece of metal screwed to the trem block then hooking it to the trem claw or maybe screwing it on that end too. Troubles I might run into? Thoughts? Thanks:cool:
JSHRED

Are you just looking to block it so it doesn't pull up, but you'll still be able to do the EVH dive bombing?
Or is your goal making it a 100% fixed bridge... yinz guyz up 'er in da burgh. N' at.

Murdoc

Are you just looking to block it so it doesn't pull up, but you'll still be able to do the EVH dive bombing?
Or is your goal making it a 100% fixed bridge... yinz guyz up 'er in da burgh. N' at.

I want a fixed bridge out of this mod. I like the way the FR feels for like palm mutes and stuff but I don't need any whammy effects. I have a Fender with a very reliable trem for my whammy needs.

JSHRED

I used to live in Stillerz country. Cowher power and all that. One for the thumb. Or have yall moved on to making superbowl rings into earrings, after running out of fingers.

Look at you being all Brad Gillis, rocking the strat whammy.

Personally, I've only dealt with the trems that have been locked by jamming a piece of wood between the block and the body, and then cranking down the claw so the springs have a deathgrip on the block.

I've never done it for my own axes, since I'm a 3rd degree Whammy ninja. Fellow 'burgher Reb Beach was my mentor, so go figure.

Murdoc

Yeah Brad Gillis is a fuckin' Floyd Rose on the Fender Demon! Love his work on Ozzy's Speak of the Devil !!! If you do the wooden block method does that prevent the bridge from pulling up or both diving and pulling up?

JSHRED

Yeah, I used to own his Hamer, the one from Gilrock Ranch. Long story. But he's the man.

If you put a little plank between the block and the body, and then crank those springs down tight, technically it will become a one-way, but if you don't put in a whammy bar, it shouldn't move during playing. Might want to stick the piece of wood to the body with some two sided 3M tape or whatever so it doesn't move until you're ready to take it out again.

Sorry can't help more, maybe someone has a better approach. But this way works, and costs about 26 cents.

Murdoc

Yeah, I used to own his Hamer, the one from Gilrock Ranch. Long story. But he's the man.

If you put a little plank between the block and the body, and then crank those springs down tight, technically it will become a one-way, but if you don't put in a whammy bar, it shouldn't move during playing. Might want to stick the piece of wood to the body with some two sided 3M tape or whatever so it doesn't move until you're ready to take it out again.

Sorry can't help more, maybe someone has a better approach. But this way works, and costs about 26 cents.
I appreciate the info but I want to immobilize the bridge entirely. IDK if you're familiar with an item called a tremol-no, but it fixes floating bridges so they don't move up or down. This is what I'm going for in my diy project.

It certainly looks like it wouldn't move, but if you take all the strings there won't be anything pulling it into the studs.

SweetLeaf

Click me

Why not just go this route. It'll be much easier to grab a device made for such a purpose than to jb weld some metal bracing into your trem cavity.

Murdoc

Click me

Why not just go this route. It'll be much easier to grab a device made for such a purpose than to jb weld some metal bracing into your trem cavity.
Yeah, might get a tremol-no to install. I just wonder how hard it would be to just bolt a piece of metal in there myself. I don't need to dive bomb or anything like the items from FU do. I like diy projects anyway, so, this is still a possibilty. Thinking of something threaded in the middle so I can make minor adjustments of the bridge height.0]

SweetLeaf

There are replacement blocks that will completely immobilize a floyd...

Murdoc

There are replacement blocks that will completely immobilize a floyd...
Essentially making it a fixed bridge? Is the Floyd Rose Special compatible with that part? Because that's what bridge I have on my m300fm.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread