Cheap plastic nut on new models???

Updated
Cheap plastic nut on new models???
Has anyone else out there with a newer LTD model have an issue with this? What I am referring to is the cheap plastic nut on the newer LTD models grinding out and making the action at the nut side of the neck nearly unplayable after nearly 6 months - mine is 4 months in my particular case... I bought my LTD EC407 brand new, and took it home on the 14th of December, and already the nut is badly ground out and the damn thing buzzes like a son of a bitch because of it. At this rate, I'm not even gonna bother taking the new AW-7 I have on order home until the nut gets replaced with a graphite one, as I refuse to have to go thru the same issue with it as I am my EC407 less than 6 months down the road. And it's not like I'm letting the string ride in the slot of the nut when I change strings, I put the string in the slot of the nut just as the string gets tight so grindage is minimal... Is anybody else out there having this issue with thier newer LTD??? I'd like to know because I think it's BS that I pay more than $750 for a guitar and have to spend more $ less than 6 months later to have something fixed due to a poor manufacturing decision. Thanks!
Sixstringhotshot

My MH-417 is holding up just fine...only had it about 2 months though.

Josh in NY

My MH-417 is holding up just fine...only had it about 2 months though.

It sucks because I've only changed the strings once on my EC407 since I got it - which was when I swapped the 81-7 and 707 for a 707TW set. The wear on the nut is comparable to years of wear on the nut on my older M107's, and even those are in better shape and play better than my EC407 does..

:confused: :mad:

Sixstringhotshot

Well, your first problem is you're playing ancient strings. That's probably not why your nut is failing, but you're going to have all kinds of tuning, intonation, and tone problems playing strings more than a month old.

Did you contact ESP about this, or your ESP dealer? They'll probably replace it under warranty. This is probably not a widespread problem, but who knows.

Josh in NY

Well, your first problem is you're playing ancient strings. That's probably not why your nut is failing, but you're going to have all kinds of tuning, intonation, and tone problems playing strings more than a month old.

Did you contact ESP about this, or your ESP dealer? They'll probably replace it under warranty. This is probably not a widespread problem, but who knows.

For starters, I am lucky if I play 5 hours a week... My work schedule has severely put a huge damper on my playing time. I replaced the strings that came on it 2 months after I got it, which was when I swapped the pickups. In the past few weeks, I find I'm playing the EC407 more than any other guitar I own and really giving the strings the work out.

I have sent an email off to ESP regarding this, but I sure as hell do not want them to replace it with another cheap plastic nut and have the same problem again in a few months... I can try calling GC (where I got the guitar...) and see what they say about it.

But in either case, I'm looking at either having the tech at GC make a graphite nut for it, or I am considering the Earvana nut for it since I can get one in white/creme for the 7-string...

I'll call GC and see what they say...

load more replies (1 of 1)
cecilbag

bone nuts thank you very much

Murdoc

Graphtech Black Tusq's are good, I have used them on project guitars.

I think my first choice would be bone nuts though, bleached or unbleached. I like the unbleached ones from StewMac. They look nice and vintage!:)

cecilbag

I do like the unbleached ones. I just really like a well cut bone nut. Seems like it helps sustain but I might be totally corksniffing there....

ammar

I tried swapping the plastic nut to a Graphtec nut on my old Epi, I don't think it went that well :rollin

But Gibson and Epi are the only models with available pre cut nuts out there...no?

Tondog

What was the outcome on this? I've been doing the black TUSQ's as well and have had good luck so far.

Goji

Yep, I had the same issue with my brand new Viper 1000, that damn nut that it came stock with was a piece of crap! I had my guitar guy replace it with a Black TUSQ XL nut and I couldnt be happier! Im thinking of installing one on my Jackson SLSMG as well. I'd go Bone but cant get it in black :(

Ronald K.

Do you remember which nut it was? Like 6642 etc?

shathe

anyone ever use antler?
i get a lot of sheds in the yard and i'm going to either start making knives or nuts.

JSHRED

I've never used antler, but I suspect that could be cool. If you make one, be sure to share your impressions. It's certainly one way to achieve a perfect "Ten-Point" guitar.

:)

panda c.

I think making a website like you is an advantage for you, I am very happy to share my feelings with everyone, I am very passionate about the game because it is very interesting. Please take the time to experience with me here: five nights at freddy's

Post to Thread