Open G string buzz

Updated
scoobyroo
The G string on my Horizon FRII, when played open has a bit of an annoying buzz/sitar twang to it, but goes away when i play any fretted note. None of the other strings buzz open or fretted. I've removed, cleaned and tightened the locking nut clamp good, still the same problem. It made the noise with the clamp off as well. I thought maybe it could be the string retainer tree was too low because the strings are basically touching the truss rod cover, so i removed the truss rod cover to give some clearance, but the damn noise is still there. The neck looks straight, the first fret seems level and there appears to be enough clearance for the string. The guitar is only a couple months old and i haven't played it too much as I have an LTD for playing in a dropped tuning in my band. I want to leave this one in standard for playing at home and not thrash it up. I don't want to take it back to the store as it took about 6 months for it to come in on order. Do I just need to raise the bridge a tad and if so, should i be loosening the strings before raising the bridge? Or could this be an issue with the nut? To be clear, this has the original floyd rose bridge and nut. Thanks to anyone who can help.
scoobyroo

138 views and no one can help a brother out?

WildeStarr

It sounds like the locking nut is to low. Take it off and add a thin shim between the bottom of the nut and the wood. See if that does the trick.

Post to Thread