Cheap Chinese FR Special

Updated
Cheap Chinese FR Special
I was just tuning my m300fm and two of the locking nuts just stripped out real easy, talk about quality! My question for the board is what would be the smartest thing to do at this point, buy a replacement OFR nut? Or take this opportunity to upgrade my axe w/ a OFR? Also will a OFR retrofit into a FRS cavity? The FRS block says 34mm on it if that helps.
jet66

It depends (mainly) on whether or not the trem is recessed or on top of the body. If it's recessed, the shorter block is usually needed, otherwise the bottom of the block and springs will extend past the plane of the back of the body.

1point8t

^Exactly. A 42mm block on one of my Washburns (recessed trem) wouldn't allow for the backplate to be put back on. The 37 took care of that real quick.

xZYRYABx

Thanks duders, 37 it is!
I guess Ill shim my saddles at the same time since I pretty much have to take the trem apart.
Any advice on the best place to get shims?

load more replies (1 of 1)
Murdoc

^Exactly. A 42mm block on one of my Washburns (recessed trem) wouldn't allow for the backplate to be put back on. The 37 took care of that real quick.

Could you just leave the back plate off or cut a square out for clearance?

1point8t

I wouldn't... even with the backplate off, the trem block even stuck out the back of the guitar maybe 1-2mm and if you were playing standing up, you might run the risk of your belt or something hitting against it, causing the guitar to go out of tune. Just a thought.

Murdoc

True, but it might be worth that risk when you factor in that the sustain and tone are so much better with a "big block".

jet66

Or, you could get a 'big block' that is the correct depth from Floyd Upgrades. They have 32mm, 37mm, and 42mm in normal brass 'big block,' brass 'L' blocks, and over-sized titanium.

Murdoc

Or, you could get a 'big block' that is the correct depth from Floyd Upgrades. They have 32mm, 37mm, and 42mm in normal brass 'big block,' brass 'L' blocks, and over-sized titanium.

Yeah but in my case mine is a 34mm so for me there is no 'correct' size. I wouldn't want to go smaller.

Post to Thread