Replacing the nut

Updated
Replacing the nut
To replace a regular nut(not a locking nut) do you knock it out w/ like a chisel? Or do you have to score the area around it w/ a razor, then knock it out? Or does it just come out w/ a little pressure. I don't want to butcher this thing up or have it look like a rat has been chewing on it. This is the only thing that I have not repaired on a guitar, and I want to hear from someone who is good at it. Thanks !!!
slovakzombiehero

From what I've heard a light tap with a hammer will do the job. You don't need much glue to keep it in place.

I haven't had to do that with any of my guitars (though my fuck'dster could certainly use a new nut), but that's the unanimous solution I've heard.

Neurot1ka

Yes, score the outside with a razorblade or you risk taking some finish out of your headstock when you knock it out. Take a rubber mallet and a chisel and tap it gently, it should come out quite easily. When you put the new nut in, make sure you aren't using carpenters glue at full concentration. Mix it with water.

ammar

score a fine line with an exacto blade to avoid damaging the finish surrounding the nut.

Once that is done, use a chisel and light tap the nut using a hammer towards one of the sides.

File the slot to ensure that all old glue/nut residues are taken care of.

Use a small amount of Elmer wood glue, like three drops. Let the glue cure/dry for 24 hrs before playing.

Murdoc

Alright, thanks for all the good info fellas.

cecilbag

score a fine line with an exacto blade to avoid damaging the finish surrounding the nut.

Once that is done, use a chisel and light tap the nut using a hammer towards one of the sides.

File the slot to ensure that all old glue/nut residues are taken care of.

Use a small amount of Elmer wood glue, like three drops. Let the glue cure/dry for 24 hrs before playing.

Great reply man you definately included all the steps I tried in on a cheap guitar before my good ones I would say that also helps if at all possible its easy to overglue

jack.j

guys i was replacing the nut on my eclipse and when i got the old nut off i noticed my slot/seat has a shallow channel cut on the low e side and is flat on the high side and un even causing a un flush fit on the high side i cannot belive they cut that slot like this i do not know if it should have a channel or be flat like they caught there msitake before cutting the rest of it i cannot believe i did not notice this until now i would have sent it back the guitars is a few years old should i contact esp or just take it some were and see what it will cost 

Pushead

Having a new nut put on is $35 in my part of the world.  I'd just have it replaced and move on with life.

jack.j

i am talking about the nut seat not the nut  if you were talking to the other guy   then my bad 

Pushead

If you're not comfortable leveling it yourself, pay the cash to have it done.

Post to Thread