Floyd Rose Special question (please read)

Updated
Metahead
For a little over a year, i have been fussing with a LFR that doesnt work quite right. it never stays in tune. finally i am thinking about replacing it, though i dont have the funds for a OFR, so im thinking Floyd Rose Special several things i must know it does. 1) stay in tune for both lowering and raising the pitch (mine only partially does for lowering *weird*) 2) flutter effect (no must but want) 3) the little part on the bar that screws in stays screwed in and tight if i want it to. the LFR WAY doesnt do that
fourmz

Short answer, you get what you pay for. OFR IMO is the only way to go.

Mark K.

^+1
Schaller is a good alternative, though the OFR is a tiny little bit better IMO; I have both...

My trem arm from my Schaller floyd isn't good. It has some playroom, so the arm picks up all the vibrations from the flutter... In short: it doesn't flutter corectly...
It does with my OFR trem arm..

Does anybody have a solution for this? I alreay tried a pen spring, it helps a little.. but not much..

Lupet

^+1
Schaller is a good alternative, though the OFR is a tiny little bit better IMO; I have both...

My trem arm from my Schaller floyd isn't good. It has some playroom, so the arm picks up all the vibrations from the flutter... In short: it doesn't flutter corectly...
It does with my OFR trem arm..

Does anybody have a solution for this? I alreay tried a pen spring, it helps a little.. but not much..

I had the same problem with my schaller in my esp (sold the guitar). But the other one in my 90's jackson professional does the job well...The difference between the two is that, the previous owner of the jackson replaced the trem arm, i wasn't able to ask if it's an original schaller arm but i don't mind, it works well anyway.

load more replies (1 of 1)
The G.

the Schallers should have a screw on the bottom where the trem arm goes that takes an allen key to tighten.

Mark K.

the Schallers should have a screw on the bottom where the trem arm goes that takes an allen key to tighten.

it's as tight as can be...and like I said, it DOES flutter with my OFR trem arm..

johnny00

If your LFR is double-locking and not staying in tune, there may be an issue. loose locking nut, saddle screw, worn knife edges or posts, etc...

The Gotoh LFR has the best arm/bushing system. I've seen them on e-bay for $100. Really really good stuff.
The FR Special uses zinc saddles and sustain block. That's mainly where they cut corners, Steel saddles and a brass block will always be a better choice.
You'll be fine with the FR special, but it's not a big jump in quality over a LFR.
BTW, for the best flutter, I've always found that using 2 springs will get the most flutter.

mister guitar: if you buy a new arm/bushing, good quality, don't skimp, that would probably fix your issue. I've ssen so many tremolo arms where it's a sloppy fit, and just poorly made. Never tightens the way it supposed to.

Mark K.

mister guitar: if you buy a new arm/bushing, good quality, don't skimp, that would probably fix your issue. I've ssen so many tremolo arms where it's a sloppy fit, and just poorly made. Never tightens the way it supposed to.

yeah I was tinking 'bout buying a new arm...but I can only purchase the Schaller ones and the allparts ones(are those any good, the allparts ones?)... If I want to buy an OFR arm, I need to ship it from the US and that costs a lot..

Post to Thread