Seemingly Dead String?

Updated
AnubisUnbound
So, I have been having this issue for a long time. I have a Jackson SL2H with a floyd, and the low E string seems to always have a "dead" sound to it. No matter how many new strings I put on, it always has less attack and tone than the rest of the strings. :confused: What could cause this? Im starting to think that maybe its something in the floyd? Do those little locking blocks go "soft" over time? The guitar is about 11 years old, so I would imagine this could be possible. Has anyone had similar issues? Thanks in advance
Pushead

Does it sound dead when the guitar isn't plugged in, or only when run through an amp?

If it's bad at all times, replacing the block could help. I'd definitely look at the nut and the bridge surface as well. You might also look into lowering your pickup heights a bit. The magnetic field could be interfering with the the string vibration (though that usually affects every string).

If it's only when it's plugged in, check the height of the pickup (raise it instead of lowering it), and see if there might be some dirt and rust on the pole pieces which could also cause problems.

ShadowDonut

Have you tried other string gauges? You didn't specify. Just throwing a (most likely stupid) question/thought out there.

AnubisUnbound

Thanks Pus. It seems like it could be dead unplugged, but it's hard to tell. I'm going to give it a fresh listen in the morning, maybe I'll try playing with the picku height. It's an emg 81 btw.

I have not tried other string gauges. If all else fails I guess I may try that, but it seems unlikely for that to be the problem.

Thanks guys

Pushead

Check to see if the string is getting choked somewhere, or isn't making good contact with the nut/bridge surface.

You might also consider replacing the entire saddle on the Floyd.

Post to Thread