Am I Doing Something wrong with the string? [help]

Updated
Disasterpiece
I have an LTD EC-1000 VB, factory locking tuners. Had it set up, and everything was fine. Then I had to change my low E string because the tech guy at guitar center put so little slack on it that it like stripped. Whatever, the other strings seemed fine. So I bought a new pack (I use Ernie Ball Powerslinky, 11s, thick strings) and just put the one on it. ...it just doesn't sound right from all the strings. I threaded it through the tuner tightly, locked it in, then tuned to B (i play drop B) and it sounds like it's fading in and out, fluctuating between notes. I tried loosening the locking tuner a little bit, then tightening and tuning it from there to ease the tightness, and it sounds okay, but now I can barely do alternative picking well. I have to strain my wrist and arm. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something wrong with the tuner? Or should I just fuck it all and send it in for a setup
Metlupass2

Was it set up for that super freakin low tuning or was it setup for standard?

Disasterpiece

Was it set up for that super freakin low tuning or was it setup for standard?

Setup was tuned drop B, so yeah.

onemilelost

Then I had to change my low E string because the tech guy at guitar center put so little slack on it that it like stripped.

Well there's your first problem...trusting a GC tech. What do you mean by 'so little slack'? There should be very little of the actual string wrapped around the post with locking tuners. And how did it 'strip'? Did the string come out?

. I tried loosening the locking tuner a little bit, then tightening and tuning it from there to ease the tightness, and it sounds okay, but now I can barely do alternative picking well.

The string would still be under the same tension if you did that. And since you are using a 48(which is the 6th string in EB Power Slinky) for a low B it will be fairly floppy to play. Try a 52 or 54. It should help.

Post to Thread