Changing the locking nut

Updated
Changing the locking nut
Hello, I'm sorry if the problem has been resolved already, but I got a little pissed off at the locking nut on my M-II. ESP puts a Schaller R2 (~41mm wide) on these guitars, while the nut width is actually ~43mm (42,86). Not such a problem in itself, but on my guitar the nut is misaligned just a bit to annoy me. Now, Schaller's spare parts are all 10mm high at the highest point, and ESP uses one that's 8mm. The difference is crucial. It seems the routing is not deep enough for a generic spare nut so a special one is needed. No luck finding any at web stores or Schaller webpages though. Wonder if anyone has fixed "the problem" without sorting to routing away wood or metal? I need an R4 sized nut to be exact, preferably not a golden one :) Cheers, Antti
LordCliffton

"misaligned just a bit to annoy me" ...... IN WHAT WAY?

does it make your strings buzz?

do the strings not sit centered on the neck because the nut itself does not have exactly 1mm of spare room on either side of it?

Is the schaller making all your strings sit too high?

what is going on with the ESP NUT ITSELF?? aka-MOAR DETAILS.

also, why not just purchase an R4 nut?

antikue

"misaligned just a bit to annoy me" ...... IN WHAT WAY?

It's offset to the treble side somewhat, clearly noticeable. Annoying mostly, why leave a gap when you can use an R3 which is supposed to have the same string spacing but fits the nut width perfectly (tried one)?

does it make your strings buzz?

No it doesn't, the height is perfectly fine (8mm). My other guitars equipped with Floyds have the same nut width but R3-sized locking nuts. The string spacing is better and since my fingers are quite big, helps playing open chords considerably better.

do the strings not sit centered on the neck because the nut itself does not have exactly 1mm of spare room on either side of it?

Strings are not exactly centered, but that's only a part of the annoyance. I'd have the strings close to the edge of the fretboard on both sides, now it's just the high-e. Magnetic poles on pickups show the offset.

Is the schaller making all your strings sit too high?

Yep, the spare part is 2mm higher than the original (also made by Schaller, of course) The nut route needs to be deeper to fit the spare nut correctly. That I find annoying because once again my other guitars have it done correctly. Rather too deep a route than too shallow (shimming is easier than filing..)

what is going on with the ESP NUT ITSELF?? aka-MOAR DETAILS.

also, why not just purchase an R4 nut?

The nut is not ESP made, but Schaller R2. It's supposed to be a generic part easily replaceable.

If I bought an R4 it'd be too high. All Schaller spare parts listed on their site are 10mm high. The one used by ESP is 8mm, that's the problem.

load more replies (1 of 1)
LordCliffton

Did you purchase it new? If this is so, and it was within the past year(as most guitars only have a 1 year warranty on them), I suggest that you return it as DEFECTIVE WORKMANSHIP for a replacement-the entire guitar that is.

Why bother yourself with these minor details & agonize over them if it is ESP that is supposed to take care of it's gear being proper before it is sent out?

I know it sux,, but I'd return it. Make sure you take your receipt with you and all should be fine. In fact, you might do better to call ESP about it and see what they say about it as they may ask you to send it to them.

Last question that just popped up in my head is with the first post you made...

Namely this: "Hello, I'm sorry if the problem has been resolved already,"

"THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN RESOLVED ALREADY"

Hmm,, you trolling nigga?

antikue

Did you purchase it new? If this is so, and it was within the past year(as most guitars only have a 1 year warranty on them), I suggest that you return it as DEFECTIVE WORKMANSHIP for a replacement-the entire guitar that is.

Why bother yourself with these minor details & agonize over them if it is ESP that is supposed to take care of it's gear being proper before it is sent out?

It's a long process all the way from Finland to take care of it, and I'm pretty sure the dealer I purchased the guitar from doesn't understand a word I use to describe this :) Besides, it may not be a defect and thus under warranty since the locking nut is R2, and the holes drilled to house the nut are fine (I tried an R3). Just that it's a very special R2 nut and no ordinary spare parts fit is my problem.

Last question that just popped up in my head is with the first post you made...

Namely this: "Hello, I'm sorry if the problem has been resolved already,"

"THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN RESOLVED ALREADY"

Hmm,, you trolling nigga?

Nope, I wondered if a similar case has been resolved earlier here on the forum. I browsed 8-9 pages back but didn't find a case close to this one, hence I apologized if this was a common (ish) question earlier.

load more replies (1 of 1)
antikue

OK I got a confirmation over at the Jackson forum - this particular "feature" is indeed common and the nut ESP uses for these guitars is not the standard R2 (therefore the nut route is too shallow for the standard). It's not a defect then, just a weird solution.

antikue

OK I got a confirmation over at the Jackson forum - this particular "feature" is indeed common and the nut ESP uses for these guitars is not the standard R2 (therefore the nut route is too shallow for the standard). It's not a defect then, just a weird solution.

Weell... a Gotoh R4-sized nut fits nicely, is about the same height, and it shows the holes drilled for the locking nut are offset. Damn, that's a shitty problem.

5150-Viper

my new MII came with a locking nut that was to narrow aswell, there was a gap on the low E string.. looked sloppy and was disappointed that an ESP came like this. funny thing is i have noticed almost more imperfections / had more issues with my ESPs then i have with my higher end LTD's

KH Guitar Freak

Actually, I've compared a Schaller replacement and the nut on my KH2, and they are the same dimensions... 8o

Post to Thread