thick bridge sound

Updated
.:st.anger:.
I have a dual EMG-81 setup with 2 volume controls (one for each pickup) and a 3-way toggle switch. When using the bridge pickup - the sound is so thick and the low-end is really eating away at the mids/highs creating a muddy sound. It's an MX130 - mahogany body and neck so I would expect some thickness...but the bridge 81 on my EX doesn't bottom out like this. does this sound like a pod issue? wiring maybe going bad? can the pickup be going out? I just changed the battery as well... Any helps appreciate - thx!
TheDevilHimself

Uhm youre talking about two different guitars here? An MX and an EX?

andrei

i guess you could pinpoint it on the wood also...

MX - more wood and possibly of better quality.

what series is the EX?
it has probably a maple neck, wich also makes it sound brighter.

but there's nothing wrong with the guitars sounding different.
(even guitars with the same specs don't)
you just need to tweak your settings a little.

Pushead

Did you try backing the pickup from the strings? Lower the bass side of the bridge pickup a turn or two on the screw.

.:st.anger:.

Did you try backing the pickup from the strings? Lower the bass side of the bridge pickup a turn or two on the screw.

they're active EMGs - i thought height from the strings didn't matter with actives?

but I did lower them as the guy who had it before ne had the bridge pickup way too high and the strings would hit it when palm muting....i set them down to the factory setting of my EX - 2/16th off the pickup ring (i think). but it's low enough to not interfere with my strings (EB power slinky 11-48). I adjusted the action (TOM bridge) to roughly the same measurement off the body.

since it has 2 volumes - will they output the highs completely (as if the tone knob were all the way open)?

load more replies (1 of 1)
Ian M.

It actually does matter if you adjust the height of active pickups.  I'm currently having problems of my own, but I still know that it DEFINATELY effects output and tone

Post to Thread